E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks to Rudy for the info on HUD repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I finally feel whole again. I took Rudy's PDF sheets on the BMW instructions for how to adjust the angle of the HUD as it displays on the windshield/windscreen to the dealer and they made the adjustment. The first time, they over-adjusted it and then the angle was too far sloping in the opposite direction. The second time the worked on it, they let me sit in the seat and they adjusted the HUD until it was level. It was really easy to adjust, I could have done it myself.

If anyone has to get in there, there are 2 simple TORX screws at the top 'brow' of the iDrive bezel. Then the whole assembly tilts outward on a ribbon cable. There is just a simple sheathed cable held in a clip that you snap out and turn the knob at the end until the angle is correct. Then replace the iDrive display.

I also got myself a brand new iDrive LCD panel since the one that came with the car had a whole group of pixels that glowed RED :'( . How can they put an obviously bad part in the car to begin with?????????

Anyway, I also asked for the rear airbags to be activated since I had gotten notice that they were not active when I got the car in Munich. After the dealer told me that they would charge me to activate them (since I got the car from another dealer in another state) I told them I couldn't believe they would charge me for something I ordered and had already paid for. Upon picking up the car, they said they were already active. HHHHHMMMMMMM!!!! I wonder how I can confirm if they are or are not activated???? Anyone know how????
Old 09-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You're welcome.

Is it really true that the dealer couldn't get the same informaton I posted from TIS? It is a BMW dealer, right?
Old 09-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

Yes, he was a BMW dealer, but he was glad to have the info already available and ready to use.

Any ideas on how to confirm that rear air bags are truly acitvated?????
Old 09-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Sep 10 2004, 01:38 AM
Crash!

Just kidding...
Old 09-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 9 2004, 07:40 PM
[quote name='gdavis' date='Sep 10 2004, 01:38 AM'] Any ideas on how to confirm that rear air bags are truly acitvated?????
Crash!

Just kidding... [/quote]
Hey, I hadn't thought that far
Old 09-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Sep 10 2004, 01:38 AM
I am interested in this too. Why would I order and pay extra for airbags that are not activated? Is this even possible?
Old 09-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Sep 10 2004, 01:43 AM
Why would I order and pay extra for airbags that are not activated? Is this even possible?
They are usually deactivated for the shipping for some strange reason. Yours should be active, Ultra.
I think the dealer can check this somehow without opening the whole door. If they are deactivated they are simply disconnected (physically) AFAIK...
Old 09-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I would think that a car connected to the DIS system could indicate whether or not the bags are activated...
Old 09-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Sep 8 2004, 07:24 PM
I wonder how I can confirm if they are or are not activated???? Anyone know how????
I had the EXACT same situation. My rear airbags were deactivated upon Munich pick-up. When I called my sales rep after the car was re-delivered to me in the US, I was told that they had forgetton to activate the airbags and that it could be done upon my first service. I went to another dealer for service and they told me that the airbags were in fact activated!!

The second dealer claimed that there is a sticker on each rear doorjam that states that the airbags are installed but deactivated and that the stickers are removed only when the airbags are activated. Since the sticker wasn't there, the second dealer stated that the airbags must have been activated. I hope they're right . . .
Old 09-10-2004, 01:03 AM
Contributors

Maybe they keep them deactivated for ED since they have to ship the car again. But that begs the question should they be deactivated when I ship my car in a couple of years??

The only sticker I have in the door jam is the normal US warning sticker so hopefully they are active. Thanks for the info hinckley!
Attached Thumbnails Thanks to Rudy for the info on HUD repair-img_7719.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thanks to Rudy for the info on HUD repair