E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Thanks for the last 3 Years!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well folks,

I am checking out here. I just returned my 04 545i lease. I had bought 45k miles and only used 29k miles. A horrible investment for sure, but I could have never imagined driving so little in 3 years when I signed the lease.

As a final thought I am not missing my car much. While the car was pretty reliable with just minor inconveniences here and there, I had some major complaints with the car in hindsight now that it is gone:

1. Run flat tires. I had 3 full sets replaced under the service bulletin and 7 more replaced with the dealer tire warranty that I purchased for the car for a grand total of 19 tires replaced for free for some reason or another. that means that every 60 days I was at the dealer with some kind of tire problem. I started fearing those tires and the low pressure warning system. NEVER again will I have runflats in any car I own. having to replace a tire for a small nail is just ridiculous.
2. IDrive. I dont know how the new Idrive works, my only experience was with the 04, but it has got to be the worst piece of software and hardware ever designed. Slow almost to be unusuable, cumbersome. The worst NAV system ever. The last 12 months I just stopped using it all together.
3. Black/Black/Black combination in NC. Absolutely deadly in summer. It looks absolutely gorgeous but very impractical for 4 months out of the year. This was strictly my fault. My new car is white!!!
4. SMG. I LOVED the way this transmission worked. I still miss it today. At some point the dealer had to replace the SMG controller and it got very hard to put the car in gear and reverse. I had to press the break for 2-3 seconds before any gear would engage. I am sure this is specific to my car, but even before that the SMG controller would miss gear changes in and out of neutral upon starting the car. somewhat nitpicking an incredible transmission but it was kind of annoying.

Other than that I had a great experience with the car and I would buy another one again in the future if the Idrive was improved or replaced.

I replace the 545i with an 07 Tundra 5.7L V8 pick up truck with NAV. This thing is a BEAST with 381bhp. The only complain about their NAV is the fact that it disables most inputs while driving. This is HIGHLY annoying since most times I have a passenger that could be entering an address. I am sure this will be hacked sometime in the future. Other than that, the Idrive looks like flintstones navigation in comparison.

I also picked up a Porsche 911 997 cabriolet 4S to replace the need for speed. Incredible ride with clutch tranny. The NAV system sucks even more than the Idrive (I dont think Germans were meant to design software...just cars...) but it is a great car...

Thanks for all of the help in the last 3 years...

Pablo
Old 09-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Enjoy your new rides, Pablo. When you are shopping again, be sure to look BMW up again. iDrive in my 2008 car is already way better than my 2004 car was -- they're getting there -- albeit slowly!

I'm amazed at the terrible luck you had with tires! Sure, I had 3 Dunlop replacement sets under the service bulletin but that was it -- never a road hazard issue or flat tire warning. Rest assured that my 2008 car came with non-runflat Continentals.

Yes, the SMG was an awesome transmission. Mine was trouble-fee so again, it sounds like you might have had a dark cloud following you around... The new SAT is an amazing feat of engineering and I'm glad I chose it over a traditional manual. Maybe when you're car shopping in the future, BMW will have the DSG box ready.

Take care and have fun!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired
Talking

Happy trails Pablo...as we say in the Islands, walk good.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Cool runnings
Old 09-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by PabloR' post='468568' date='Sep 11 2007, 07:11 PM
I replace the 545i with an 07 Tundra 5.7L V8 pick up truck with NAV. This thing is a BEAST with 381bhp. The only complain about their NAV is the fact that it disables most inputs while driving. This is HIGHLY annoying since most times I have a passenger that could be entering an address. I am sure this will be hacked sometime in the future. Other than that, the Idrive looks like flintstones navigation in comparison.

I think there is. My friend has a new 5.7L Tundra FULLY equipped and I mean FULLY... I played with his nav extensivly and I see no difference compared to my IS. THe only difference is the resolution on the screen the Lexus is MUCH cleaner. The new Tundra seem to use the same NAV system as the Lexus IS. with a version 5 NAV data / software disc and I can over ride that disabling inputs and allow full use of my NAV inputs while on the move... Those with 2007+ Lexus IS's have gotten the new 6.1 version of the NAV. and almost everyone has made a hybrid DVD with the old V.5 firmware with V.6 data maps. I have yet to try with my friends NAV DVD.

Its a little more complicated than that but here's a thread on how its done on the Lexus. I'm thinking it can be done on the Tundra also. If you find out let me know so I can "fix" my friend's NAV.

Post #124 <--- much of this thread is about how to enable NAV inputs while the car is in motion. So far it seems to have worked for the RX GS IS and ES and the tundra system looks and works the same so do a little research and I'm sure it's do able. I just havent found time to try it out myself.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...447#post2142447

Better detailed description on how to do it with the Lexus ES
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...969#post2503969

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Have fun with your new ride.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

take care and enjoy the new rides
Old 09-12-2007, 02:52 AM
Senior Members

VERY Nice,

enjoy the forums etc, get some pics for us

cheers
Old 09-12-2007, 03:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Mysthic Blue, built June 2004, Cream Leather Interior, Dark Woodgrain Dash,

Originally Posted by PabloR' post='468568' date='Sep 12 2007, 12:11 PM
Well folks,

I am checking out here. I just returned my 04 545i lease. I had bought 45k miles and only used 29k miles. A horrible investment for sure, but I could have never imagined driving so little in 3 years when I signed the lease.

As a final thought I am not missing my car much. While the car was pretty reliable with just minor inconveniences here and there, I had some major complaints with the car in hindsight now that it is gone:

1. Run flat tires. I had 3 full sets replaced under the service bulletin and 7 more replaced with the dealer tire warranty that I purchased for the car for a grand total of 19 tires replaced for free for some reason or another. that means that every 60 days I was at the dealer with some kind of tire problem. I started fearing those tires and the low pressure warning system. NEVER again will I have runflats in any car I own. having to replace a tire for a small nail is just ridiculous.
2. IDrive. I dont know how the new Idrive works, my only experience was with the 04, but it has got to be the worst piece of software and hardware ever designed. Slow almost to be unusuable, cumbersome. The worst NAV system ever. The last 12 months I just stopped using it all together.
3. Black/Black/Black combination in NC. Absolutely deadly in summer. It looks absolutely gorgeous but very impractical for 4 months out of the year. This was strictly my fault. My new car is white!!!
4. SMG. I LOVED the way this transmission worked. I still miss it today. At some point the dealer had to replace the SMG controller and it got very hard to put the car in gear and reverse. I had to press the break for 2-3 seconds before any gear would engage. I am sure this is specific to my car, but even before that the SMG controller would miss gear changes in and out of neutral upon starting the car. somewhat nitpicking an incredible transmission but it was kind of annoying.

Other than that I had a great experience with the car and I would buy another one again in the future if the Idrive was improved or replaced.

I also picked up a Porsche 911 997 cabriolet 4S to replace the need for speed. Incredible ride with clutch tranny. The NAV system sucks even more than the Idrive (I dont think Germans were meant to design software...just cars...) but it is a great car...

Thanks for all of the help in the last 3 years...

Pablo

Pablo

Im new to the Forum and just got a 06/2004 E60 - 530i, time will tell what comes my way and the issues which come with this piece of German engineering. Im one of those guys who picked up a End-of-Lease period (of a new car which was well maintained with 18K Miles -even less than yours) and am amazed in the week I've had it.... the iDrive and the lack of bluetook will be the test of my patients.

Here is a writeup for the new 2008 E60 here in Australia and what the Driving Analyst from down under feel about the latest offering ( a car has just got better and improved the iDrive).

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...=43272&vf=2

Enjoy the car which offers you the Speed factors and the Pick-up. Id be amazed with Porche, that would be a real gun of a car.

Safe travels and may there be many curves to your roads.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Contributors

>> Porsche 911 997

which Porsche is that one?