E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2007
Smile Thanks

I would like to say thank you to every one who has posted in this forum. I have a 2005 545i and I replaced the valve cover gasket. At first I got error messages about multiple misfires. After moving some coils those errors went away. The last error I have is Passenger Restraint System malfunction. How do I get rid of that.

Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Call your local BMW dealer to see if your car is part of a recall for the Pass. Restrain System. I had the same error on my 05 545, took it to BMW and they fixed at no charge. They had to remove the passenger seat and replace the mat (with the sensor in it). BMW sent out a recall notice a few years back regarding this recall which I believe is in effect for up to 10 years or so. Good luck
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

There are several parts that can throw 'passenger restraint system malfunction'.
Please note that the the word 'passenger' in the above error does NOT refer to the passenger side/seat.

Possible root causes -
Problem with Battery Safety Terminal (BST)
Problem with IBS (not-so-Intelligent Battery Switch)
Seat mat sensor (either drivers seat mat sensor OR passenger seat mat sensor)
Fluctuations in [battery/alternator] voltage can also cause this error.
and other causes...

Most logical/efficient way of approaching this issue is to read the diagnostic codes. You can either take the car to the dealer or independent mechanic, pay them the diagnostic fee, and get the codes. Based on what the codes are, you can figure out if it's worthwhile for you to buy the part separately and replace.

If the code refers to the seat mat sensor and your car qualifies for the recall, BMW will fix it for free.