E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Text for radio and CD

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idrive is not displaying the cd artist name or the radio station text. i thought this was available now.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Mine displays the radio station text, including station call letters, artist and song title. As for the CD displying title or artist, mine doesn't do that, though I would think that the CD itself needs to be coded to display the info, so maybe the older CD's won't display info.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the newer cd's should work with yours then. i'll have to check with the dealer.

it sounds like it all or nothing...there are no settings to turn this feature on or off.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Jul 2 2004, 07:46 AM
Mine displays the radio station text, including station call letters, artist and song title. As for the CD displying title or artist, mine doesn't do that, though I would think that the CD itself needs to be coded to display the info, so maybe the older CD's won't display info.
All I get is the station call letters for stations that support it. Is there a special radio mode (Manual vs. Presets vs. All Stations) that will show the song title?

I haven't checked on any of my "new" CD's, but I know that I don't get the CD Text on the latest Cold Play or some of the more recent Dave Mathew's Band discs.

-MrB
Old 07-02-2004, 06:37 AM
Members

I noticed that you had the navigation option. RDS is not working with 530s that have Navigation. I've complained about this continuously to the dealer and they said it will have to be fixed in the next software update. I did notice that text is displayed for CDs that support it though.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

good question mrbelk, I'll have to check. I so rarely listen to the radio, but my dealer programmed the radio during my delivery walk through, so I'm not sure what he selected. I think he just set it to find the strongest signals in the area (if that is what I remember) rather than presets, and I know that I have never set up preset stations. Except for the occasional news/sports show (usually on AM), I listen to CD's. After seeing an earlier post on this subject, I manually tuned the FM radio to a station here in town and got the call letters, artist and song title info on screen.

As for the CD's, have several that I've bought in the last couple of months, but none of them display anything. Is there some special notation on the disc package that tells you if it displays the info?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Jul 2 2004, 02:40 PM
As for the CD's, have several that I've bought in the last couple of months, but none of them display anything. Is there some special notation on the disc package that tells you if it displays the info?
CD-Text is a Sony invention, and as such pretty much only their pre-recorded discs carry the information (e.g. George Michael, Patience), and then not all of them.

If you burn your own backups, you have an option whether to add your own CD-Text, either by manually typing it yourself (slow, no thanks), or using something like cddb.org an online database resource that cross-references the CD running time against an existing record in the database, auto populating the data for you.

Looks like CD-Text is only active for the in-dash player though. However this might change with v12 ?????
Old 07-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Jul 5 2004, 08:34 PM
Looks like CD-Text is only active for the in-dash player though. However this might change with v12 ?????
Have never seen it so far on any CD's I played on this drive.
But, how many CD's have these infos ?
I can't remember seeing it on any CD in any other car...
Old 07-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jul 5 2004, 09:50 PM
[quote name='browellm' date='Jul 5 2004, 08:34 PM'] Looks like CD-Text is only active for the in-dash player though.? However this might change with v12 ?????
Have never seen it so far on any CD's I played on this drive.
But, how many CD's have these infos ?
I can't remember seeing it on any CD in any other car... [/quote]
Certainly not very many if you don't burn your own. As I said some the most recent Sony ones may have it on.

Best thing to do if you want to see it in action is burn a backup of one of the discs in your collection with one of the popular software applications like Nero which allows the addition of CD-text.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:41 AM
Contributors

I use roxio toast (mac) and it gives you the option to burn cdtext. I tried "patience" by george michael as suggested (borrowed it from my wife!) and it worked fine displaying all the track titles. still no joy with the changer or radiotext though.

DD

Quick Reply: Text for radio and CD