E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrible Interior Rattle from the Rear Cabin Area

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have develpoed a terrible rattle from the rear, My vehicle is very new only 1500 miles covered so far. 2005 Sport

I do not have the fold down seat or ski pass through option all because I know those options can cause potential rattles.

I live in the North East and the roads are terrible and the rattle is driving me mad.

I assumed it was from the folding armrest mechanism and I took some felt and applied to the surface hoping to dampen any movements.

Nothing has worked.

It makes me wonder that there is so much chassis flex that this is happening, up front everything is perfectly tight and sound.

Any suggestions, I had the dealer look at it already and they could not find anything wrong or they simply dont know where to even start.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, Ziering545I !
Old 01-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Members

Welcome aboard. I too had rattles (same back seat setup as you) but my dealership took apart the entire back seat and lined it with a felt-like material. Worked like a champ and no more rattles (from back there). Talk to your dealership and they should be able to help out.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Members

Good IDea

I wish it wasnt so COld Id fix it myself, the back seat is a nightmare to take it you have to access some sort of mechanisim in the trunk, the dealer showed me.

I just is annoying me so much what wil the car sound like in 2 years??? I wonder
Old 01-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the parcel shelf is ratteling???

I too had this noise. I found the the interior trim on the C pillar where it meets the parcel shelf is not a secure joint. I could push the two pices away from each other with minimal effort.

In an attempt to isolate the noise I took some felt and stuffed it in the joint and there is still some sound from the rear but not annoying or obvious like before.

I have not had the dealer investigate it yet. But i will give them a chance to investigate and correct. I intersted in what they come up with.

Others have complained about noise comming from the top of the seat back and parcel shelf area. If you search you'll see several areas to investigate.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:44 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I don't know, but I had the same problem when I had my old e39 528. There the problem was that my spare tire wasn't tighten enough. But most of the e60:s doesn't have spare tires.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

Welcome to the world of the rattling/body flexing E60!! I've had my 545i in 3 times in the past year for the rear seat/parcel shelf rattle. The dealer has done the following:

1. Replace rear seat latch (and no I don't have fold down rear seats)
2. Removed and reinstalled rear seats applied felt material.
3. Removed and reinstalled rear seats after finding a loose piece of welding material.

#3 was completed 3 weeks ago, and so far so good. Although the other options only lasted about 4 weeks each before the rattles started again. If it happens again, I'm going to have the rear seats and parcel shelf permanently removed
Old 01-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Members

So i am not alone on this great, I will try to bring it to a better dealer to fix this, hope they can it sounds terrible
Old 01-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Contributors

I had rattle on my doors/windows and dealer fixed it by applying carboflo, no rattle in rear seats yet, keep us posted.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:59 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, ziering545i !

Quick Reply: Terrible Interior Rattle from the Rear Cabin Area