E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Television Option (pictures for Rudy)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thank for the pics Doc!

It looks cool.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

absolutely brilliant! me want this so bad but...
thanks for the pics DD, you're the best. rollee
Old 06-06-2004, 08:42 AM
Contributors

That is pretty cool, and agree with gdavis that to bad it is not available here. Well maybe for 05 MY. Nice car DD.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Teletext in PAL and SECAM regions is basically the same to decode. The bigger problem now is digital terrestiral TV coming on line has killed alot of teletext services and they have move to digital text.

Doctor Diesel... curious if BMW will down the road have to force a digital decoder anyway as what is, 2010 or 2015? or so when some stations may not have to provide the analog feed?
Old 06-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Members

Thumbs up

Is there, or has anyone figured out how to retrofit the TV Tuner in a US Spec model? Thanks!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Contributors

Does anyone know where the aux input for video goes? It would be nice to connect a rear-view camera or portable DVD player to it (until the software shows up to let the nav-drive play dvd's

Seems all the info on the net covers older nav and tv systems such as those in the E39 and current X5 etc.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Senior Members

Isn't the rear view camera coming as a retrofit option?
Aswell as a camera or two in front that is supposed to "see around corners".

-paasan
Old 06-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Members

I have been researching this for some time and have been told that for the 3's and 7's, if you put in the standard bmw tuner, the system will recognize it. Nav-tv, Nav-with-tv, and NavonTv all offer these solutions here in the states. You can also just purchase the module yourself and put it in.

For the 5, it is a different situation. I have been told that the tv has now been outlawed in Germany for all models other than the 7, and if you put the tv tuner module into a new 5, the idrive will not recognize it. I can't confirm this, except to say that all of the american suppliers of these systems have told me the same thing.

Doctor Diesel, however, seems to have the tv option in his 5, so maybe for uk spec cars it will work. I inquired directly about the 545i, not the 530 or other 5's but the information I was told was that all new 5's will not be able to recognize the module.

If this is true, there are potentially other solutions. What I'm planning on doing is to put a switched harness behind the nav screen and connect up a video module/tuner directly to this harness. I'll have to mount a phisical switch (or ir switch) somewhere to change between the nav/idrive and tv/dvd display, but at least it will work. The bad thing is that I will not be able to change the channels or inputs from the steering wheel. This will have to be done with a remote.

As far as audio, that is a different matter. Right now, most of the guys are using fm modulators to get the audio into the system, but the sound quality is not that good. My dealer informed me that the aux-input for the new 5 series will be available within 1 month. That would put the audio directly into the system on the analog side before the digital processing, and you would be able to switch it. This seems like a much wiser solution.

If any of you guys here in the states have actually put in a system on the nav screen in a 2004 5 series, I'd like to hear about how you did it.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't know for sure but installing the "A/B" switch for the display, which is a good idea, might generate a fault condition on the car when switched away from displaying iDrive.

If that's true, the fault most likely won't go away once switched back. Many of these faults can only be cleared by a dealer. (Like the airbag fault that many have experienced while trying to dim the passenger airbag warning light.)
Old 06-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Members

I didn't think about that. Something to check into. BYW, how do you get your car information on the bottom of your post - is that the "signature" area??

Quick Reply: Television Option (pictures for Rudy)