E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TeleService- What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting close to my one year anniversary and trying to decide about renewing BMW Assist. In reviewing Idrive screens and reading the manual was reminded about a function called Teleservice. Help me out here, friends-

1. Is TeleService active/available in the US?

2. Anyone out there automatically notified by BMW to make service appointments (i'm coming up on 15k oil change so don't know yet)?

3. Is TeleService part of BMW Assist or a separate service you get no matter what?

4. When i go to the Idrive screen BMW service settings submenu "service status" and "enable services" the progress bar slowly advances but i can't tell whether anything actually happened. How can I tell?

5. Finally, slightly unrelated issue. Under BMW service settings and submenu Profile the license plate number can be included. The manual implies that your local dealer must perform this function. Anyone have this done? Does it provide any extra functionality to put the plate number in?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2005, 05:31 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i Mystic Blue, European Delivery, Steptronic, Prem Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Nav, Heads Up, Active Cruise, Rear Sunshade, Rear Side Airbags, Rear Seat Heating, Park Distance Control, Xenon, CPT9000 GSM phone, red rear reflectors, Sirius!!!!

Hi Pubsmeister:

I, too, was curious about this when I hit the 1 yr interval. My understanding and experience of Teleservice/BMW assist is as follows:

Teleservice is part of BMW assist. Only if BMW Assist is still active (either within the 1st year or you have subscribed and paid for ongoing service) will teleservice be active.

Teleservice will automatically send a message to BMW when your car has a service requirement. You can pull up the screen which confirms outgoing message information. This information is routed to your service center.

My service center has never called to confirm receipt of this information. They claim to receive regular reports of other customers' service requirements and claim they call them, but somehow I got the opinion that there is no follow-up training at my service center on how to retrieve and respond to these transmissions.

With earlier verisions of iDrive (I must be on my 4th upgrade to ver. 19), you could check the services you wished to maintain and when you connected, it supposedly updated your record. Version 19 is as you described - I can't find where "enable service" actually does anything.

On a similar topic, when you choose to connect to BMW assist by pushing the emergency button, or choosing Customer Service, or Roadside Assistance, or Service; you get the same operator, so I don't know why they have all of these connection options.

On the topic of license plates, I do think this is updated at the service center. Mine has stayed with my old license plate number, even though I have updated BMW Assist with my new number, so I don't think it can be updated either through iDrive manually, or via telemetry with BMW Assist data exchange.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by NC530i' date='Oct 21 2005, 08:31 AM
Hi Pubsmeister:

I, too, was curious about this when I hit the 1 yr interval.? My understanding and experience of Teleservice/BMW assist is as follows:

Teleservice is part of BMW assist.? Only if BMW Assist is still active (either within the 1st year or you have subscribed and paid for ongoing service) will teleservice be active.

Teleservice will automatically send a message to BMW when your car has a service requirement.? You can pull up the screen which confirms outgoing message information.? This information is routed to your service center.

My service center has never called to confirm receipt of this information.? They claim to receive regular reports of other customers' service requirements and claim they call them, but somehow I got the opinion that there is no follow-up training at my service center on how to retrieve and respond to these transmissions.

With earlier verisions of iDrive (I must be on my 4th upgrade to ver. 19), you could check the services you wished to maintain and when you connected, it supposedly updated your record.? Version 19 is as you described - I can't find where "enable service" actually does anything.

On a similar topic, when you choose to connect to BMW assist by pushing the emergency button, or choosing Customer Service, or Roadside Assistance, or Service; you get the same operator, so I don't know why they have all of these connection options.

On the topic of license plates, I do think this is updated at the service center.? Mine has stayed with my old license plate number, even though I have updated BMW Assist with my new number, so I don't think it can be updated either through iDrive manually, or via telemetry with BMW Assist data exchange.
[snapback]186961[/snapback]

Anyone seen the TV ad for this? Guy in his early 30s, driving a 530i is singing the kids song "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round", and the iDrive screen is prominently displaying the song title. The phone rings, he presses the button on the steering wheel, and a woman's voice tells him that his car needs and oil change, blah blah. He asks her how she knew that, and she says the car told her. He slams on the brakes, and gets this worried look on his face and asks, "what else did it tell you?" and she says "nothing". Pretty funny - he was afraid she'd know what he was listening to.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Yeah, it's a pretty funny/cool ad. Just one thing tho..... wish I could get the song name to diaplay.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i Mystic Blue, European Delivery, Steptronic, Prem Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Nav, Heads Up, Active Cruise, Rear Sunshade, Rear Side Airbags, Rear Seat Heating, Park Distance Control, Xenon, CPT9000 GSM phone, red rear reflectors, Sirius!!!!

Originally Posted by JStraw' date='Oct 21 2005, 09:06 AM
Yeah, it's a pretty funny/cool ad. Just one thing tho..... wish I could get the song name to diaplay.?
[snapback]186987[/snapback]
You can with Sirius - also the artist's name.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Contributors

...i'm still confused. with regards to the tv ad, do we have that even if our teleservice subscription expires? (the ability to be called up automatically, if service is due).
Old 10-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

I was just figured out that my teleaid was never enabled and when I tried to enable it failed, so today I had a new TCU unit installed.... .....then I get home tonight I go to enable and actually speak to BMWAssist and they claim the car is in the name of someother person and did not believe that I had bought it new..

Was told that the selling dealer has to properly submit the subscription agreement.....just glad I did not have an accident and need it....

So much for giving the salesman a 5 on the evaluation at purchase

Off to the 4th grade parent get together.....
Old 10-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by daydok' date='Oct 21 2005, 05:15 PM
...i'm still confused. with regards to the tv ad, do we have that even if our teleservice subscription expires? (the ability to be called up automatically, if service is due).
[snapback]187143[/snapback]
No, if BMW Assist expires, so does Teleservice.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:20 AM
Members

Interesting that we had this exchange on Teleservice. I had indicated that I did not think the service centers were actively responding to these transmissions (despite the commercials indicating they do). In fact, I was wrong. Yesterday evening on the way home, my cell phone range and the BMW service manager calling me informed me that "My car had called them" and indicated it needed a routine service and they offered to schedule it for me...so it really does work!
Old 10-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Members

My BMW Assist subscription lapsed over a year ago but I still get the phone call for service, so I am not so sure its dependent on whether Assist is active or not.