E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Technology for Lane Departure Warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

As I researched what options to order, I had thought I understood the LDW system relied on a camera mounted front somewhere that could identify the white lines dividing lanes... Then a few days ago I remember reading a post here, a critique of an article in Roundel reviewing the 5 series, and among the criticisms was the author's limited or erroneous understanding of the 5's technology. One of the examples was noting the LDW relies on a radar reflection from an emitter on the front side of the rear-view mirror...

I can't find that thread now (I think it was a few months back, I think referencing an 10/07 issue of Roundel), but I wonder if someone can strainten me out on this, radar or camera? Here's an excerpt from bmwusa.com's "innovation" pages on LDW:

"Lane Departure Warning
Invaluable when driving long distances - especially at night, when drowsiness can easily set in - BMW's optional new Lane Departure Warning* feature warns the driver of an improper lane-changing maneuver. Using a camera to detect painted lines in the road, this feature discreetly vibrates the steering wheel whenever you change lanes or drift across the roadway without first using your directional signal. (Optional; requires Premium Package in the 528i/528xi and 535i/535xi)."

Thanks in advance,

Cal
Old 01-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='523557' date='Jan 27 2008, 06:28 PM
As I researched what options to order, I had thought I understood the LDW system relied on a camera mounted front somewhere that could identify the white lines dividing lanes... Then a few days ago I remember reading a post here, a critique of an article in Roundel reviewing the 5 series, and among the criticisms was the author's limited or erroneous understanding of the 5's technology. One of the examples was noting the LDW relies on a radar reflection from an emitter on the front side of the rear-view mirror...

I can't find that thread now (I think it was a few months back, I think referencing an 10/07 issue of Roundel), but I wonder if someone can strainten me out on this, radar or camera? Here's an excerpt from bmwusa.com's "innovation" pages on LDW:

"Lane Departure Warning
Invaluable when driving long distances - especially at night, when drowsiness can easily set in - BMW's optional new Lane Departure Warning* feature warns the driver of an improper lane-changing maneuver. Using a camera to detect painted lines in the road, this feature discreetly vibrates the steering wheel whenever you change lanes or drift across the roadway without first using your directional signal. (Optional; requires Premium Package in the 528i/528xi and 535i/535xi)."

Thanks in advance,

Cal
I'm thinking camera. I have 2 lenses in the rain sensing area of the windshield. The driver side one has a wide angle cutout and is probably it. It works well but sometimes is fooled by diagonal lines in the road, especially in construction areas at lane shifts. I am glad its just a subtle warning and doesn't try to correct anything itself. You can get used to it pretty quickly by cheating over to the double yellow when nobody's coming to feel what its like. It's a useful, barely intrusive feature.
BTW, on the interstate, it will force you to use turn signals to change lanes or it will vibrate at you. Turn signals disable it for 5 seconds (I think).

One other note. You can enable a display of the sensor setting in the HUD but its a distraction so I turned it off. The "lane lines and arrows" display in the gauge cluster is enough to show you when its active (which is anytime over 40mph). I think you can also set the activation speed but 40 seems fine.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Thanks, that's what I would have guessed also. Not being a techie all that much, I was having trouble figuring how radar reflections would distinguish between painted lines and the rest of the surface. Thanks Richard,
Cal
Old 01-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Richard is correct -- the LDW camera is located next to the rain sensor in the windshield (behind the rear view mirror area.) In this location, the wiper sweeps past it and helps to maintain a clean lens...
Old 01-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='523563' date='Jan 27 2008, 04:03 PM
I'm thinking camera. I have 2 lenses in the rain sensing area of the windshield.

Ya I think thats right too... its an extra camera near the rear view mirror location that scans for the lines...
Old 01-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I understand that some people actually turns this fearure off as it can be a nuisance ?? What do the members that have it feel about that. I think it would very useful on highway driving over long distances with the possibility of driver fatique, but on a daily urban commute or casual driving I can see why some would nix it ............... ??
Cheers
Old 01-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='523642' date='Jan 27 2008, 11:22 PM
I understand that some people actually turns this fearure off as it can be a nuisance ?? What do the members that have it feel about that. I think it would very useful on highway driving over long distances with the possibility of driver fatique, but on a daily urban commute or casual driving I can see why some would nix it ............... ??
Cheers
I leave mine on all the time -- it's not a nuisance at all! You get used to ignoring it when you don't need it (like when you're paying attention but deviating from the lane for whatever reason) but it's great when you might be slightly distracted and deviating from the lane unexpectedly.

In my opinion, BMW wasted a perfectly good steering wheel button on this feature. They should have made it switchable in iDrive or some other dashboard switch. They could have swapped the night vision button for the lane deviation button since I find a steering wheel button for night vision is pretty much a mandatory thing...
Old 01-28-2008, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Name:  E60_Sport.bmp
Views: 641
Size:  468.8 KB
Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='523633' date='Jan 28 2008, 04:03 AM
Ya I think thats right too... its an extra camera near the rear view mirror location that scans for the lines...
I thought there was an extra camera in the front air intake below the grill??? See attached photo - it is clearly visible, almost like a 3rd fog light ....
Old 01-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by artc' post='523779' date='Jan 28 2008, 06:23 AM
Attachment 43589

I thought there was an extra camera in the front air intake below the grill??? See attached photo - it is clearly visible, almost like a 3rd fog light ....

I may be wrong on this, but I thought that was the Far InfraRed camera for the Night Vision?

Cal
Old 01-28-2008, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by artc' post='523779' date='Jan 28 2008, 09:23 AM
Attachment 43589

What that picture indicates is the night vision camera. If the car pictured had active cruise control, there would be another "lens" under the bumper for the long-range radar system. ACC (with stop-and-go) also has some short-range radar units mounted in the front bumper area to enable the car to detect the closer traffic needed to allow the stop-and-go system to work properly.

The following photos of my car illustrate each item...

ACC radar:
Technology for Lane Departure Warning-acc.jpg

Night Vision camera:
Technology for Lane Departure Warning-night_vision.jpg

Quick Reply: Technology for Lane Departure Warning