E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Technical problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from overseas and were about to go to the store , when I tried to start my car , the display just faded out and car wouldnt start, starter did not turn.

This happend late last night and I have still not tried with battery help.

There is one other thing that is unlikely , I used my spare key when I tried to start my car , so I will have to try once with the key that I normally use , just in case , but I dont see that as a reason really.

So... Is there anyone who has experienced something similar to this og can please tell me whats wrong.

I will come back with updates in a couple of hours conserning battery help and using the other key.

Any help on what to do here is appreciated

The car is a 530d 2004 model
Old 08-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten' post='462271' date='Aug 24 2007, 05:08 PM
Just got back from overseas and were about to go to the store , when I tried to start my car , the display just faded out and car wouldnt start, starter did not turn.

This happend late last night and I have still not tried with battery help.

There is one other thing that is unlikely , I used my spare key when I tried to start my car , so I will have to try once with the key that I normally use , just in case , but I dont see that as a reason really.
So... Is there anyone who has experienced something similar to this og can please tell me whats wrong.
I will come back with updates in a couple of hours conserning battery help and using the other key.

Any help on what to do here is appreciated

The car is a 530d 2004 model
How long the car was stationary? Sounds like a flat battery from your description. If you try to jump start the car put the jumpers on the connections on the engine bay and not directly on the battery.

Then have your dealer check the battery and replace it if necessary. Assuming you are under warranty this should be replaced at no charge to you.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='462281' date='Aug 24 2007, 09:01 PM
How long the car was stationary? Sounds like a flat battery from your description. If you try to jump start the car put the jumpers on the connections on the engine bay and not directly on the battery.

Then have your dealer check the battery and replace it if necessary. Assuming you are under warranty this should be replaced at no charge to you.

The car was stationary for only 12 days
Old 08-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten' post='462283' date='Aug 24 2007, 06:09 PM
The car was stationary for only 12 days
Then the battery shouldn't have gone flat. I have left mine for way much more than that and it started right away. One other possible explanation was the car never went into sleep mode and the current consumption drained the battery. The dealer can check the MPM (micro power module).

Other members can jump to share their experiences but i dont think the battery should go flat if you left the car for only twelve days.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='462285' date='Aug 24 2007, 09:15 PM
Then the battery shouldn't have gone flat. I have left mine for way much more than that and it started right away. One other possible explanation was the car never went into sleep mode and the current consumption drained the battery. The dealer can check the MPM (micro power module).

Other members can jump to share their experiences but i dont think the battery should go flat if you left the car for only twelve days.

I also found some post regarding the deep sleep , I will try to start my car in a couple of hours when the sun is up , I have a spare battery , a gel battery but Im not sure of the dimensions and AMP rate on original battery , I would like to replace my battery with a optima or equal kind of battery , specs on battery?

Thanx for helping out
Old 08-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten' post='462289' date='Aug 24 2007, 06:37 PM
I also found some post regarding the deep sleep , I will try to start my car in a couple of hours when the sun is up , I have a spare battery , a gel battery but Im not sure of the dimensions and AMP rate on original battery , I would like to replace my battery with a optima or equal kind of battery , specs on battery?

Thanx for helping out
If your car is a 2004 then you should be covered under warranty for a new battery unless you have exceeded the mile limit (Kms in your case).

Check this one for battery specs. However from that list I dont think you can determine which one you have unless you look at your actual battery

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=61&fg=30
Old 08-25-2007, 04:52 AM
Members

Connected a powerful gel battery with more than enough starting amp , but still wouldt start , yes in the end activ steering fault message showed up.

So I guess I just have to wait till monday and have the car sent to service , Im not doing anything more...

Thanx for all the help , nice to have something to back up my theories with...
Old 08-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Members

Changed battery with a powerful 55Ah gel battery with 850A starting Amp , car started right away , activ steering fault message on display.

Not sure if we get battery on warranty here in Norway , plus its a imported car from germany , not a dealership in Norway....

Have had faulty airbag module in right door front , which I had plans for fixing , could this be the reason my battery got flatt? Or is it any of the other modules that are famous for acting up?

Going to drop the car of for service tomorrow and hope it ends well.....

Any comments on batteries to use on BMW 530d?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Members

Took it for a testrun and prior to that I shut down engine and started it again , went away , but during the testrun I felt unormal behaviour compared to how the car handles normally or used to operate...

Im sure I saw a post here , were one guy claimed the alignment of the steering had to be set up or activ steering remapped... not sure...

Not to worry , I let the BMW service people listen to my findings and see what they figure out...

Will reply when car is returned
Old 08-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten' post='462741' date='Aug 26 2007, 10:45 AM
Took it for a testrun and prior to that I shut down engine and started it again , went away , but during the testrun I felt unormal behaviour compared to how the car handles normally or used to operate...

Im sure I saw a post here , were one guy claimed the alignment of the steering had to be set up or activ steering remapped... not sure...

Not to worry , I let the BMW service people listen to my findings and see what they figure out...
Will reply when car is returned
You're referring to steering wheel intitalization. I think the precedures are listed in this forum.

As for batteries I would stick witht the BMW battery. I understand the winter is harsh in Norway but I think BMW would have taken that into account.

Quick Reply: Technical problems