E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TCU replacement, plug & play?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 530i.
My bluetooth is no longer working and I get the SOS malfunction error after about 60 seconds of turning on my car.
BMW Fremont quoted me $900+ to get it replaced but I see TCU's on eBay for like $150-$200.
The connectors look simple enough.
Since I already had bluetooth, can I just buy a replacement TCU, swap out the broken unit, start my car, and have bluetooth again?
Or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

no
Old 12-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

No, it will need to be programmed to your car.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Before you buy the replacement off eBay, you need to make sure that it's for the US pre LCI models, better yet the one that is made for MY2006. Check out REALOEM.com for the part numbers. And if your car is already programmed for BT, then it might be an easy DIY swap. If it doesn't work, then you will have to get it re-programmed by the dealer. GL
Old 12-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Well....yes and no I believe. If it came from a US spec car that has all the specs it may work. Happened to me before. But I had the part and just swapped it out for a few hours to diagnose something and then gave back to the donor owner. I had same part number and same year vehicle etc. So again, yes and no. More no than yes.

I had an X5 8.8" LCD monitor in my car that worked fine too. The CCC needed coded for sound (it worked perfectly just no sound because I didn't have Logic & and donor did) so during coding it found I had the incorrect part # and wouldn't go further. The parts manager got a screen and put it in so I could get coding done. After, just put X5 screen back in worked fine.

Then the TCU issue came up. I didn't bother buying a new one because I don't talk and drive anyway. My time in the car is my time.

With that said, I disagree with others from experience. If you are already activated and working and your device goes out and you have same part # you should be good to go and not need coding.

This same this issue happened on a DME for a BMW ZF tranny and it worked fine too!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I have the same issue. I am still waiting to hear whether or not John's source for TCU actually yields a working TCU. As for the programming. It's not simple as a direct swap. You need to have it "mated" to your vehicle, effectively electronically activating it, so programming is necessary.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

Maybe it's just me, if I am to keep this beloved car for another 3-4 years, I think this $900 is well worth.
We're not driving a Hyundai base model, aren't we?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Members

Thanks guys for the all the input and responses.
I'm going to try and pickup a TCU that matches part numbers and swap it out myself.
I figure I'll need to buy a TCU regardless of programing requirements, and the cost of the part sans labor is $400+ through the dealer, so I can save at least $200 by getting one off ebay.
I'll try swapping it for the old one. Worst case, my bluetooth still doesn't work and I have to take it in to get programed. Pretty much the situation I'm in now.
Best case scenario, I save $750+
I'll report back my findings.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Small Tomato
Maybe it's just me, if I am to keep this beloved car for another 3-4 years, I think this $900 is well worth.
We're not driving a Hyundai base model, aren't we?
Sorry dude, regardless of what you drive. There are smarter ways to spend money. You can buy a decent portable BT adapter for less than $90.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rocksta
Thanks guys for the all the input and responses.
I'm going to try and pickup a TCU that matches part numbers and swap it out myself.
I figure I'll need to buy a TCU regardless of programing requirements, and the cost of the part sans labor is $400+ through the dealer, so I can save at least $200 by getting one off ebay.
I'll try swapping it for the old one. Worst case, my bluetooth still doesn't work and I have to take it in to get programed. Pretty much the situation I'm in now.
Best case scenario, I save $750+
I'll report back my findings.
Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: TCU replacement, plug & play?