E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tank range - 70 litres is not big enough

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Thanks for the welcome. I must admit, I didn't factor in the gearing, but nonetheless, I am looking forward to getting my first diesel (probably May)! I will report back..
Old 02-01-2005, 02:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by New535' date='Feb 1 2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I must admit, I didn't factor in the gearing, but nonetheless, I am looking forward to getting my first diesel (probably May)! I will report back..
[snapback]85476[/snapback]
You'll smile when you fill up the diesel and it gives your range at >600miles.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Welcome to the forum New535!

Are you sure that you will get MY2006 for this week of production?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Yup, week 9 production onwards is MY2006 (sat nav shortut, new DSC features, bigger cubby, better trim, ACC with sport etc, etc..)
Old 02-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

Interesting to note your short list choices. I had a very high spec 535d sport Individual on order but ditched it in favour of a 997 Carrera (personal use) and a new E90 320d SE as a daily driver (company car - tax being a major influencing factor).

From comments on this board from 535d owners it seems that this engine is quite a bit thirstier than the 530d which gives a great balance between power and economy. It is certainly going to be more economical than an equivalent performance petrol though.

I've never had any issue with the 18" runflats on my car which also has sports suspension. They don't give excessive road noise nor do they seriously affect the ride comfort. I have never been able to fathom road testers who criticise the car for having a harsh ride. You have to be on seriously bad B road surfaces before the ride becomes a little jittery.

As for you comments on your chosen colour scheme, colour is all down to individual preference. However I would say that your interior is going to be fairly stark with black leather, a black headliner and the maple wood. That is a lot of black with no real visual relief.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:20 AM
Members

I did wonder about the lack of a contrasting colour, however I really don't want another colour leather (kids etc), and I figured that a wood trim would look a little 'token' and possibly out of place - could have done with titanium if it was an option, but I didn't really want to wait for 'individual'.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the 18"s though - I was reasonably impressed on the test drive, although only everyday driving will tell...

The 997 is a lovely car - let us know what you think when it arrives!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

Re the 997 - will do. I didn't have the option to go for the S as my car is an extra allocation car for my dealer which was unsold. I signed up for it straight away as I didn't want to wait up to 12 months for a factory order. It's my first Porsche so I'm sure I won't feel let down by having the 3.6 as opposed to the 3.8 engine.

I know where you're coming from on the interior trim choices. The turned aluminium in the sport is a bit brash. They should have fitted the nice aluminium trim from the Z4 instead. They appear to have done that with the new E90 (fingers crossed anyway) which is what I've gone for. I'm sure you'll be more than impressed with the diesel engine. Mine is the first one I've ever had and it has been great. The 535d is the only sensible choice in the UK if you want performance and do a reasonable annual mileage. The fual bill for a 545i must just be ridiculous here.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Members

Who did you buy your 997 from in the end? The only real thing about the S was the standard inclusion of the active suspension - I agree I'm sure the 3.6 is plenty powerfull enough! Did you get tiptronic? That box is just amazing - much better than the BMW steptronic and that is saying something!

Thanks for the reassurance about the diesel, I presume you could live with the minor diesel rattle when cold? How long did the heater take to warm up - I have seen somewhere on this board that it takes longer than petrol - is that true?

What range do you reckon you will get out of your 997 - I might still go for one in the next year or so, circumstances permitting...
Old 02-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

I'm buying the Porsche from Silverstone Porsche which is part of the Sytner empire. I'm not sure about the range but I hope to get MPG somewhere in the low to mid 20's. I have got the tiptronic box - I don't enjoy manuals any more in this traffic congested island of ours.

The diesel does take a little longer to heat up the car but the heated seats are great and take care of that. You don't notice the "diesel rattle" at all really from inside the car except for really cold mornings. Once you are on the move the engine actually makes a pretty good noise under acceleration and the steptronic is superbly matched to the diesel engine. Just knock it left and leave it in DS sport mode, depress the right pedal and try not to grin insanely as you look at the rapidly disappearing face of the driver in the car behind you who is astonished that a car with a D badge on its rump can accelerate like the Millenium Falcon
Old 02-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

My 530d is my first BMW and my first diesel. And very happy with the choice.

I recently did a trip to Paris and back on one tank of fuel. 500 on a tank shouldn't be hard with a 535d either.

Quick Reply: Tank range - 70 litres is not big enough