E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tank range - 70 litres is not big enough

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

I am relatively new to this forum, but have had an E39 528i for just over 5 years - absolutely love it to bits, however my only major criticism is that I only get about 250 miles to a tank (albeit with a fairly heavy right foot) - I don't really mind about the price of petrol (gas) - even though we get screwed on this side of the Atlantic, however what really gets me is having to fill up every two hours on a trip to the south of France.

This is one of the major reasons I didn't want an M5 or a 545 - that they both have the same tank as a 520 and the old E39! That means that with an average consumption of about 12-20mpg you get about 150-250 miles per fill up! What a drag - or am I the only one to think this?

In the end I have eventually plumped for a fully specced 535d Sport (thanks to this forum, an MY2006 for production after week 9) - Carbon black, black nasca and maple (hope it isn't too much black, but I like the understated look) heated, ventilated active seats, prof nav, hi-fi speakers, hud, acc - in fact the only options I didn't go for (to note) were active steering (a bit too helpful imho), the 19"ers (too big a sacrifice on the ride), sunroof (don't really care) and rear seat heating (not meant for passengers to enjoy). Can't wait to get it!

Anyway, with the 535d you get 0-60 in a fairly decent time, 70-100 is just jaw dropping and even 100-130 is pretty impressive, but best of all you can get 350 miles plus per tank! Hoorah!

I reckon they dropped a clanger with the tank size on the E60 - stopped me spending another ?20k with BMW anyway! Just as a side note, it was a last minute toss up between this and a 997S - but the sheer practicality of the beemer won out - a lot of the performance without too many of the compromises - not to mention less conspicuous and less ear-ache from the better half (!).

One last point - would really love to know what other people have done about the run-flats - I wonder if they've changed the Dunlops on the 2006 cars? In any case, the ride does concern me slightly as I do lots of mileage around town too (London).
Old 01-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by New535' date='Jan 31 2005, 10:51 PM
In the end I have eventually plumped for a fully specced 535d Sport (thanks to this forum, an MY2006 for production after week 9) - Carbon black, black nasca and maple (hope it isn't too much black, but I like the understated look) heated, ventilated active seats, prof nav, hi-fi speakers, hud, acc - in fact the only options I didn't go for (to note) were active steering (a bit too helpful imho), the 19"ers (too big a sacrifice on the ride), sunroof (don't really care) and rear seat heating (not meant for passengers to enjoy). Can't wait to get it!
Have you any details of the 19" wheels? I heard they're a new option on the wk 9? I reckon the 19" are non runflats like the M5? (That could be a big plus compared with the standard 18" I'd check back with the dealer?)

At least you haven't gone for that horrible standard sport trim, aluminium cube...
Old 01-31-2005, 02:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Good point, I didn't think of that - I will check on the 19s and report back (it does mean stupid spare though). And you're right that aluminium cube - boy does that suck - what were they thinking of?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based upon your numbers it look like you have a 12.5 gallon tank. Maybe the are imperial gallons(don't they have 5 quarts).

Anyway, my 545 can go 450+ on it's 18.5 gallon tank cuising the motorways.

In the city I get about 180 miles on 18.5 gallon tank but that's like two weeks for me.

Maybe you 528 needs service.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Members

Cruising you are probably right - but you've obviously never had the priviledge of driving on European motorways - you don't need to cruise at 70 you can go all the way to the speedo limiter! Then I get about 200 - 250 miles to a tank, which you can cover in under 2 hrs!

My car is a bit thirsty, but very free flowing - nothing that needs a service.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by New535' date='Jan 31 2005, 05:22 PM
Cruising you are probably right - but you've obviously never had the priviledge of driving on European motorways - you don't need to cruise at 70 you can go all the way to the speedo limiter! Then I get about 200 - 250 miles to a tank, which you can cover in under 2 hrs!

[snapback]85264[/snapback]

Well you might have point there. While on the Autobahn my consumption was less, about 17mpg, but as it was new so I couldn't take it above 4500RPM.

I do agree the tank is a tad small. 22 gallons would have been nice.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, New535 !
Old 01-31-2005, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, new535 !
Old 01-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

How much fun per gallon do you get?
Old 01-31-2005, 08:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by New535' date='Jan 31 2005, 04:22 PM

[snapback]85264[/snapback]
Thats the problem. Exceeding 120mph in your old car in 5th gear required some serious petrol consumption. In the torquey 545i you can cruise at 120mph at 4000 rpm in 6th gear.
Tank range - 70 litres is not big enough-dsc00019.jpg
24 mpg (US Gallons). 18.5 gallon tank. Over 400 miles. Have done it.

Drove from Barcelona to Nice on a one tank and I assure you we were legging it.

Quick Reply: Tank range - 70 litres is not big enough