E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tacky or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T a c K Y ... like placing yellow covers on brake calipers that i recently saw.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 AM
Members

if you have mpack, why not?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

If you have to ask, I think you already know the answer!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

You can put whatever you want on your car... However, the ///M group or the factory does not install the emblem on the rear of the car for a non M car. If your car comes with a factory M package, which is different than an actual M car, you will see various M emblems around the car such as the steering wheel, wheels, and somebody moldings, this is just that, an M package. Not sure if you heard, but some years ago with the X5 E53 when they added the 4.6 l or so engine with M package the factory wanted to also add the ///M to the rear and refer to it as M X5, The M group said NO! This is not a M car. Now with the E70 M X5, it actually has an engine that was designed by the M group and used only in this vehicle. There have been some dealers out there that will put ///M badges on the rear, but this is not from the factory and you can do the same. The difference is the Dealer is probably sucking directly from your wallet... I often see 5 series with a wide variety of engine and fuel types with the M package, it just doesn't have all the other goodies too. Funny thing last year while in Munich on business I rented a car from Sixt. When I collect it in the garage I said nice, they gave me a M3... Once I got up to it and sat in it I realise it was a 318 with the M package. Looked very nice, just didn't have the power I expected.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i agree and DISAGREE as an ///M5 owner (gotdamnit i love saying that now lol!)

i agree that in no way form or fashion should anyone put an ///M badge on a non-///M car....no matter how many ///M parts you put on that damn thing. unless you upgrade the motor by dropping in an S85 V10, adjust & upgrade the full drivetrain, suspension and brakes....it will never be an ///M

where i disagree though: you should def put ///M parts on ur non-///M car if you so please. on my 545i, i had a ton of parts on that damn thing. some of them were from M5s and really made my car look awesome. so i think if your heart and budget allow....go all out and do it really big....just dont put a damn ///5 on that thing and become a full-on poser. feel me?

Originally Posted by MuellerAir
Buy an ///M5 if you want the ///M Badge. Dont be a puss with ///M parts on a non M Car......come on. Why dont you ask a ///M5 owner that question.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

either its an m, or it isn't.... i wouldn't want people coming up to me and saying " nice M" then having to tell them it wasn't i just put the badge on......
Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
either its an m, or it isn't.... i wouldn't want people coming up to me and saying " nice M" then having to tell them it wasn't i just put the badge on......
+1
Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

If you feel like distinguishing you car a bit, you can put a Dinan badge on there, assuming you have Dinan parts. I believe what people here are trying to say is that the M badge stands for something- and we do not want to tarnish that rep. by having everyone throw a badge on there nonM.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

^^^ I agree with what rag30 said, distinguish your car any way you like, but the M is for M cars ONLY!!!! I have M5 front, side and rear bumper. However, there is nary an M badge anywhere on my car - simply because no matter how many M-parts are on it, it is still a 530i NOT an M5 and I have no illusions otherwise, nor do I feel the need to pose.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by rrnag30
If you feel like distinguishing you car a bit, you can put a Dinan badge on there, assuming you have Dinan parts.

And that means lots of Dinan parts. Even with a Dinan badge, it has to be earned.

Quick Reply: Tacky or Not?