E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SZL Module

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I was driving on the highway and everything was perfect when all of a sudden I got a "passenger restraint system malfunction" pop up on my idrive. Soon after, my cruise control malfunctioned, windshield wipers came ON,and lost control of ALL my steering wheel buttons! The dealer spent a couple hours diagnosing and said it was a SZL module needs replacing. They replaced the passenger seat occupancy mat under the recall. But the error is still coming up. Dealer said $800 + 2.5 hours labor to fix. I have searched all the forums and haven't seen these symptoms with other e60 owners. Is something else afoot or would the SZL module take care of it?

Also, if is it worth buying a used steering wheel/column and replacing the SZL module with a used part?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My memory isn't as good as it used to be but if I recall correctly, the SZL module is the "steering angle sensor" and, again, if memory serves, there was a recall on this module a few years ago.

You might want to see if your car was part of the recall and, if it was, see if it was ever fixed...
Old 08-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yes the SZL is the steering angel sensor... but I dont recall THOSE symptoms being associated with the SZL... usually its the ABS, CBC, DSC. All those features require the steering angle sensor to work properly. But I guess if you lose all your steering wheel buttons it's something to do with the steering wheel column... SZL? I dunno.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
My memory isn't as good as it used to be but if I recall correctly, the SZL module is the "steering angle sensor" and, again, if memory serves, there was a recall on this module a few years ago.

You might want to see if your car was part of the recall and, if it was, see if it was ever fixed...

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Yes the SZL is the steering angel sensor... but I dont recall THOSE symptoms being associated with the SZL... usually its the ABS, CBC, DSC. All those features require the steering angle sensor to work properly. But I guess if you lose all your steering wheel buttons it's something to do with the steering wheel column... SZL? I dunno.

Actually I believe the steering angle sensor is part of the SZL module, which is called the steering column control switch or something. Also, I believe the recall is only valid in the US... I'm in Canada driving a Canadian car... '04 530i

I'm not sure but I've spent 3 hours labor and a $200 software upgrade that the dealer said "might" work... but didn't. I'm just worried because I can't find these symptoms anywhere online...
Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Members

also is there a dealer that gives a discount on parts for members of this forum???
Old 08-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by dubseller
also is there a dealer that gives a discount on parts for members of this forum???
https://5series.net/forums/topic/180...sory-discount/
Old 08-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Members

thank you. Just to add: this is the SZL module

AKA the switch unit steering column... Dealer listed part number 61319136898
Old 08-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by dubseller
Hey everyone, I was driving on the highway and everything was perfect when all of a sudden I got a "passenger restraint system malfunction" pop up on my idrive. Soon after, my cruise control malfunctioned, windshield wipers came ON,and lost control of ALL my steering wheel buttons! The dealer spent a couple hours diagnosing and said it was a SZL module needs replacing. They replaced the passenger seat occupancy mat under the recall. But the error is still coming up. Dealer said $800 + 2.5 hours labor to fix. I have searched all the forums and haven't seen these symptoms with other e60 owners. Is something else afoot or would the SZL module take care of it?

Also, if is it worth buying a used steering wheel/column and replacing the SZL module with a used part?
Your symptoms could very well be the SZL. When retrofitting the paddle shifters and SAT in my 550, the dealership accidentally fried the SZL module (which fortunately was covered under warranty) during an initial exploratory visit. For the week that the SZL module was broken before we replaced it, I had only limited traction control and limited use of steering wheel buttons (ie. turning stalk wouldn't cancel, no 3-flash function, etc.). Cruise control error could be related as it would rely on SZL to cancel if traction control engaged, and the wipers are controlled through the stalk connected to the SZL so that is possible... guess it depends on what components "fried" in the module (my wipers worked fine with my broken module).

Not sure you will find a used part out there, but if you try to find one make sure you get the right part number as there are several depending on what options you have on the vehicle (heated wheel, etc.).

Good luck with getting it all fixed!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Here is that old SIB on the SZ recall (Service Action) in case you did not find in in an old thread. Realize that this is US but may be ammunition for you even in Canada. There is also a high probablility that your car does not fit in this range of VINs but never hurts to be well informed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SIB_340506_SZL.pdf (1.6 KB, 715 views)
Old 10-13-2010, 12:05 PM
New Members

Hello folks. I recently got this 2006 BMW 530xi with 64k miles on it. Now I see the brake light always on and the AWD malfunction (see attached files). Dealer changed the brakes and rotors (so they are in pretty much brand new condition) Car is out of warranty so I'm gonna have to pay for it myself. So I brought it to one of the car shop and after diagnosting it for a while I was told that I have problems with the Transfer Case. In a first place they thought it was a Steering Angle Sensor, but after checking it was just fine. The brand new parts + labor would cost me ~ $2,200 or $1,800 for used ones.

So I wanted to get a 2nd opinion and brought it to 12V (the other shop in Brooklyn, NY). Now these guys keep telling me that my problem is the Steering Column Module (est. cost is ~ $900)... I am confused. Don't want to bring it to BMW dealer since only diagnostics might cost me more than the cost of the parts. Neither I want to pay for the parts that are working fine at this time

Please help!
Attached Thumbnails SZL Module-img_0467.jpg   SZL Module-img_0469.jpg  

Quick Reply: SZL Module