E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sway Bars or Strut Tower Braces?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Thanks guys for the info and all the recommendations.

As I stated earlier it would be incovenient for me to lower my car or install harder springs/dampers so I am keeping the option of coilovers till the end.

My plan now is as follows:

1. Start with Sway Bars and test the handling and measure my cornering speeds and body roll angle. The satisfactory results for me would be an increase is g forces by 2-5% and decrease in body roll by +20%.

2. If I can achieve these results but the car starts squeaking and rattling, I will go for strut braces front then rear. From a mechanical engineering point of view, I see that the strut braces would be more beneficial than the frame braces since the bending moment at the tower braces is more than at the bottom of the car frame.

3. If I still can't achieve the results I want then I will go for coilovers and destroy the bottom side of my car . Unless someone knows of coilovers that would not lower the ride height.

How does that plan sound ?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Shebs
Any help guys?

Even if just a recommendation to whether get the sway bars or the strut bars or both?

Sway bars first!! I have the H&R sways in the front and M5's rear sway bar and I can't begin to describe how awesome they are!!! GET EM!!! Keep in mind the ARS system is mechanical, complicated, and prone to failure issues in the long haul. I have no sport package (I made my own sport package).
Old 08-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Hello Shebs,

Considering that you are willing to perform all these modifications on your ride, I would suggest that you take a test drive in a Dynamic Drive equipped model at a dealer, trader or friend if possible.
I found the difference in body roll to be huge compared to non DD models, I'm quite sure that it will suit your taste. Especially since your posts indicate that you'd rather not lower (poor road quality?) this might be the best way to go.

It might be a long shot but since you seem to be willing to spend significant amounts on improving handling maybe trading for a DD model would suit your needs?

Good luck with the project anyways!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Thanks guys for the info and all the recommendations.

As I stated earlier it would be incovenient for me to lower my car or install harder springs/dampers so I am keeping the option of coilovers till the end.

My plan now is as follows:

1. Start with Sway Bars and test the handling and measure my cornering speeds and body roll angle. The satisfactory results for me would be an increase is g forces by 2-5% and decrease in body roll by +20%.

2. If I can achieve these results but the car starts squeaking and rattling, I will go for strut braces front then rear. From a mechanical engineering point of view, I see that the strut braces would be more beneficial than the frame braces since the bending moment at the tower braces is more than at the bottom of the car frame.

3. If I still can't achieve the results I want then I will go for coilovers and destroy the bottom side of my car . Unless someone knows of coilovers that would not lower the ride height.

How does that plan sound ?
then you should do the same as me and just install the 6 bars.
I also will not lower the car or change the coilovers.
the roads in HK is not good for this kind of mod.
out of the 6 bars
I think the 2 H&R sway bars and the 3 Ultra Racing Strut bars is a must have tey both will make the car much better to drive in corning
they are not the same bars and are not the same function so if you what to cut ot body roll and increase is g forces these are the best and cheapest bars to have for road use.
But if you going for track then H&R are too havery and would get the hollow sway bars, which weight lighter.

as for the tower bar I would only say it would not make much difference on our car.
I install this 1st on my car and I only feel about 3% stiffer on the front when corning
Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Theo
Hello Shebs,

Considering that you are willing to perform all these modifications on your ride, I would suggest that you take a test drive in a Dynamic Drive equipped model at a dealer, trader or friend if possible.
I found the difference in body roll to be huge compared to non DD models, I'm quite sure that it will suit your taste. Especially since your posts indicate that you'd rather not lower (poor road quality?) this might be the best way to go.

It might be a long shot but since you seem to be willing to spend significant amounts on improving handling maybe trading for a DD model would suit your needs?

Dynamic Drive is the best option, I love to have this in HK but cost way too much for this option in HK. cost $5800usd
the bars are much cheaper cost for all 6 bars and installed $1000usd and I save $4800usd for other mods
Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

Coilovers will not lower the car unless you choose it. There are also sets that won't change ride that much either. The nice thing is that those options are there if you want to use them. If you still don't want them go with sway bars.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by Theo
Hello Shebs,

Theo,

Thanks for your recommendation, and I agree that the best way to decrease body roll without sacrificing ride quality was to get a car with Dynamic Drive from the beginning.

The problem is my car is manufactured in Egypt with local Egyptian content of 45%. This is basically to reduce the customs that the government applies to foreign prodcuts. Since the cars are manufactured in the Egyptian factory with relatively low numbers (5000 cars a year) we do not get the oppurtunity to choose a lot of options. It is just packages associated with engines that you have to take or leave.

For example, the F10s are now manufactued in Egypt in 3 forms only: 523i, 528i, and 535i. Adaptive Drive is available on the F10 535i only so are the soft closing doors and rear entertainment screens and xenon lights for example. So if I don't have the money to buy a 535i and I have to buy a 523i again, I will never be able to enjoy a lot of these options.

BTW, my standard suspension 523i had cost me US $ 85,000 (that's with the 45% local content. LOL ).

Wish I could have chosen the dynamic drive from the beginning in place of the rear and side sun blinds .

It is a tough life, but at least I got to choose the external color, wheels, bumpers, and wood trims .
Old 08-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk
then you should do the same as me and just install the 6 bars.
I also will not lower the car or change the coilovers.
the roads in HK is not good for this kind of mod.
out of the 6 bars
I think the 2 H&R sway bars and the 3 Ultra Racing Strut bars is a must have tey both will make the car much better to drive in corning
they are not the same bars and are not the same function so if you what to cut ot body roll and increase is g forces these are the best and cheapest bars to have for road use.
But if you going for track then H&R are too havery and would get the hollow sway bars, which weight lighter.

as for the tower bar I would only say it would not make much difference on our car.
I install this 1st on my car and I only feel about 3% stiffer on the front when corning
pinguhk,

First of all, thanks for your help.

If you are sure that the 3 Ultra Racing Strut Bars are better than the tower strut braces, then I would go for them. But if I am not satisfied, then I will ask you for money back guarantee .

I have read a lot of your posts and I can see that you have really noticed a difference after installing the Ultra bars. You seems to have noticed much more improvements than other members who have installed tower strut braces.

I will go for them then .
Old 08-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Contributors

pinguhk,

First of all, thanks for your help.

If you are sure that the 3 Ultra Racing Strut Bars are better than the tower strut braces, then I would go for them. But if I am not satisfied, then I will ask you for money back guarantee .

I have read a lot of your posts and I can see that you have really noticed a difference after installing the Ultra bars. You seems to have noticed much more improvements than other members who have installed tower strut braces.

I will go for them then .
I am 100% sure on the Strut bars but dont forget the strut bars is to hold the car Chassisand the tower bar is to hold the mod coilovers and springs, this is why it did not make much diffrence on my car.
only info even my LCI Chassis is about 30% stiffer than your car after installing all 6 bars it becomes other car,the feeling of the handling is almost same as a E9x 3er which is good.

I can not give you money back guarantee because every person has diffrent teast and feel so most will like it and you may not.
But like the SBv2 99% will like it after install