E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sway Bars or Strut Tower Braces?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

I am currently modding my car to decrease the body roll in curves . I have standard suspension and I can't make the car any stiffer due to the importance of the ride comfort on the roads where I live.

I came up with two mods that would improve the car handling in corners and I would like your help to decide on some of the brands.

1. Anti-sway bars:

a. H&R front and rear. Front bar is 27mm in diameter (compared to stock 24.6) and rear is 19mm (compared to stock 13.5). Seems to be solid from the weight prespective (around 15-18 lbs). US $ 500.

b. Racing Dynamics front and rear. Same diameter as the H&R but RD are hollow (weight around 8.5 lbs). US $ 620.

2. Strut tower braces:

a. Dinan front tower strut carbon fiber brace replacing the original (tied to the car body). US $ 599.

b. Dinan rear tower strut carbon fiber brace. Removable if luggage area is needed. US $ 499.

c. Racing Dynamics GTR Aluminum front strut tower brace (not tied to car body, runs across the two front towers only). US $ 445.

For the first item, anti-sway bars, I just need your recommendation and need to know whether the H&R solid will be better than RD hollow and whether the H&R are adjustable or not.

For the second item, strut tower braces, I need to know which combination of the three braces will give me the best handling upgrade.

Please take into consideartion the value for money aspect as well.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Any help guys?

Even if just a recommendation to whether get the sway bars or the strut bars or both?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Senior Members

Come on guys, just a quick recommendation.

Sway bars or strut braces or both?

If so, which brands?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

If you want to reduce body roll quickly sway bars are better, they are designed for that purpose. Strut tower braces are designed to reduce chassis flex, which is different than body roll. Get some sway bars, combined with good coilovers (I have KSports) and be done with it. Then later if you hear popping noises from your windows when going over dips and bumps at an angle THEN get the strut tower braces to reduce the chassis flex.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

I would go with the sway bar...I thought that even with the regular suspension, there is a sway bar set up for your car already. May be it's not as thick as the aftermarket though.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I have H&R sways and the 3 Ultra Racing Strut bars.
these is a must have if you love solid cornering.
I also have a tower-bar which is ok not good as the 1s you mention
you can see both on these photos
https://5series.net/forums/topic/991...5#entry1179735
Old 08-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Are hollow sway bars better than solid? I'm thinking hollow...
Old 08-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by balbs
Are hollow sway bars better than solid? I'm thinking hollow...
I never seen hollow 1s in HK so I can not help you.
if they are just as strong as the H&R then I get the hollow sway bars
Old 08-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

Sway bars are the way to go. There are several companies that make hollow bars so we would have to think they are OK. I would probably do the hollow if it was me. The strut brace would help with turn in but nothing for body roll. Look in to the frame braces that were sold in the group buy section not long ago too. The best way to reduce body roll in my opinion would be coilovers first, sway bars as soon as possible next. Then I would do the strut brace and then I would have to try those frame braces.
How's that plan sound?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SBrown712
Sway bars are the way to go. There are several companies that make hollow bars so we would have to think they are OK. I would probably do the hollow if it was me. The strut brace would help with turn in but nothing for body roll. Look in to the frame braces that were sold in the group buy section not long ago too. The best way to reduce body roll in my opinion would be coilovers first, sway bars as soon as possible next. Then I would do the strut brace and then I would have to try those frame braces.
How's that plan sound?
that the best way to go.
also do it step buy step so you know how much it feedback it has on each item

Quick Reply: Sway Bars or Strut Tower Braces?