E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension upgrade choices?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 01:28 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d M-Sport
Default Suspension upgrade choices?

Hi all. As my car has covered 93k now, I'm starting to think about replacement suspension items. It's a 535d M-Sport, pre-lci.

It all feels a bit too soft for me and I'd like the handling to be a bit tighter. How would I find Koni FSD shocks with Eibach Pro Kit Springs? I don't particularly want the car to sit any lower than it does already, although I expect it has sagged somewhat, compared to fresh OEM sport suspension.

Would the FSD firm things up nicely during spirited driving? I'm stuck in the realm of not wanting to lose all comfort, but wanting that tighter, sportier handling.

Should any other springs or shocks be considered? Should I look into any aftermarket anti roll bars? Are there any bushes I should consider replacing at the same time as doing the shocks?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:43 AM
New Members

Nobody? A 5 Series Forum and nobody has anything for me??
Old 11-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Members

Well, I can give you a few thoughts from experience. Others will, too, I think, if given a little time and not put off by snarky posts. And search is your friend, there is material here on everything you've raised.

On the springs and struts, I think you would be happy with OEM M sport springs and Koni yellows. No appreciable lowering, tighter than OEM, still comfortable, a little money saved. Eibach springs will give you a drop.

If you have the M sport package, I would have thought you would have ARS - that's better than any aftermarket sway bar. If you don't have that, then you will like bigger anti-roll bars, front and rear - makes a big difference.

At 93K, all your bushings are on last legs, a full refresh will make a decided difference. Refreshing with rubber is good but Powerflex is a much better, more controlled feel. Especially subframe bushings.

The one other thing you can look at is chassis stiffening. Front strut bar, rear strut bar, and there are a few other pieces Ultra Racing has for the e60, consider them in that order if you don't do them all.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535D

my lci is on 130k - still drives and handles like new..

you could pop into a garage and get your bushes etc checked on a ramp
Old 11-25-2013, 12:21 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JWMich
Well, I can give you a few thoughts from experience. Others will, too, I think, if given a little time and not put off by snarky posts. And search is your friend, there is material here on everything you've raised.

On the springs and struts, I think you would be happy with OEM M sport springs and Koni yellows. No appreciable lowering, tighter than OEM, still comfortable, a little money saved. Eibach springs will give you a drop.

If you have the M sport package, I would have thought you would have ARS - that's better than any aftermarket sway bar. If you don't have that, then you will like bigger anti-roll bars, front and rear - makes a big difference.

At 93K, all your bushings are on last legs, a full refresh will make a decided difference. Refreshing with rubber is good but Powerflex is a much better, more controlled feel. Especially subframe bushings.

The one other thing you can look at is chassis stiffening. Front strut bar, rear strut bar, and there are a few other pieces Ultra Racing has for the e60, consider them in that order if you don't do them all.

Good luck.
Cheers for your help.

Not sure on the yellows, as I don't want to feel like I have been given a sound beating if I drive 150 miles, you know? Otherwise I'd be quite interested in them.

ARS, I'm not sure. I don't think there was anything on the build list for it, that last time I checked. I did however think that the ARB bushes looked a bit huge when I was last under the car, if that gives any indication? They just didn't look like "normal" ARB bushes. Nothing like my E46 etc.

I think the shocks, top mounts and bushes will all be getting done, as time and money allows.