E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

So i was thinking about replacing my struts with some coil overs but i was told i should just replace my struts and keep my coils because i have the sport package. So now im confused, can someone share some light on this. Do the springs on a vehicle determine the package a vehicle has, like are my springs the sport part of my suspension? And if so, will a set of Bilistien struts work well with my current springs, meaning............Will i keep that sport package lower look with the new Bilistien struts? Sorry if sound like a newbie but i really dont know much about BMW suspension.....
Old 09-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

If you're looking to lower the car, you have to change the springs. The springs are what's actually holding your car up, not the shocks. Alot of people here have sports suspension and have changed the stock shocks\springs with either coilovers (for better control of height and ride) or other shocks with lowering springs (Eibach's or H&R are more common).

Other parts of the BMW sports suspension include the Active Roll Stabilization system amongst others, not just the sports shocks and springs.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

I actually like the way my car sits now with the stock sport suspension, i just wanted to know if i could keep my stock springs and just replace the struts because i wanted to keep the same look......
Old 09-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

Yea among other things I know our car sits lower than a non-sport @ least it seems that way. If youre getting adjustable struts I still think the ride height will remain the same only thng adjustable is the dampening settings
Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Members

Any recommendations on some good adjustable struts..............................
Old 09-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Contributors

Alot of people here have been swapping out the shocks with Koni Sport (yellows) or Bilstein Sport shocks. They are adjustable to suit the ride (comfortwise, not height) you like. But of course you can also use coilovers and just adjust the height to match your current one. Plus, as mentioned earlier, you can adjust the ride as well.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

^^^^^^^stole my thunder lol but yea I replaced my front struts with OEM ones and I was mad for that money I paid I should've gotten Bilsteins
Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Contributors

BTW, a vendor in this forum Acuteperformance (Michael), sells Ksport coilovers for about $200 more than the cost of 4 new shocks. So far other forum members here like them.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Members

Thanks guys...... think i made my decision...... Gonna price out a set of Bilistien struts tomorrow. Is there anything (part) else i have to replace when struts are replaced. Like bushings or anything....?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by steeda106
Thanks guys...... think i made my decision...... Gonna price out a set of Bilistien struts tomorrow. Is there anything (part) else i have to replace when struts are replaced. Like bushings or anything....?
Another forum member here on another thread mentioned that when he was replacing his struts, he noticed that the "top mount" was cracked so he had to get new ones. He had about 48K miles on his car. I don't know what the "top mount" is but it might be a good idea to check it out.

Quick Reply: Suspension Question