E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges
Default Suspension problem

Hi to all!

I need to do a front suspension overhaul on my '05 545i sport package. Where can I get the parts aside from real OEM? There is no part no. for the coil spring, does anybody know the part no. Thanks!

Last edited by manaiauds; 06-04-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Members

I am curious myself since I have sport package as well on my 545i. Ess Tuning probably has a great alternative.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

i got all of my suspension parts from pelican parts. you should never, ever have to replace coil springs.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

What do you guys think is the problem, the passenger side is lower by 1" compared to the driver side. Will that be the strut and spring or just the strut. Anyway, I will change both struts, do I need to change the strut mounts as well? I need an advice. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Look for Boge or Sachs struts (identical items) and the OEM part for BMW.

25mm is quite a difference and is most likely spring related unless your measurement is off or the car is not sitting on a flat surface. 10mm would be an acceptable difference.

Have you actually measured the difference? If so, then I would suspect that your coil spring is not mounted correctly, or the rubber mounting pad is destroyed or the strut support for the spring is distorted.

Does the car drive straight? Do you have any excessive vibration? Clunking sound when stopping quickly? These could be signs of wear in your tension strut arm bushing.

Is your tire pressure the same in all 4 tires?

Has there been any recent suspension work done on the vehicle? The coil spring must be perfectly aligned with the strut support and pads. The coil spring is elliptical in shape on one end.

If you're going to replace the struts, I would replace the strut mounts (Boge/Sachs) at the same time along with the rubber coil spring pads. The strut mounts are ball bearing operated and therefore they wear creating additional play.

My Boge struts came from rockauto.com and the strut mounts from FCPEuro as I recall.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by manaiauds
What do you guys think is the problem, the passenger side is lower by 1" compared to the driver side. Will that be the strut and spring or just the strut. Anyway, I will change both struts, do I need to change the strut mounts as well? I need an advice. Thanks!
The problem with the passenger side being 1" lower than the driver side is not related to the shocks/springs as far as I've been told by BMW technicians. It has to do with the ARS or Active Roll Bar which the 545 Sport Package came with. I had the same exact issue with our 2008 E70 X5. In both cases there was no noticeable driving issue as far as vibrations, noises, pulling to one side, etc....., however, in both cases the tires wore unevenly. The right side of each front tire (outer third of the right tire and inner third of the left tire) wore out faster than the left side of each tire.

The cost of the part alone is a minimum of $1400 not including the labor to replace it. I will not be replacing mine for now, but I definitely have to replace the shocks/struts because they are so worn that the entire car is super lowered. The ride has become hard/super firm and the lip of the front bumper rubs on the pavement when I go over speed bumps and dips even at slow speeds.

After replacing the shocks/struts I expect the ride height to rise again, although the passenger side should still be lower than the driver side by an inch as that issue is not shock related.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

I get all my parts from ECS tuning. Easy to search and navigate.
I have done only front socks with OEM but no springs. I am considering KW coil overs as many forum members swear that variant 2 is much better than stock.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:39 AM
ODB
Members

bavauto.com