E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Suspect Engine & Gearbox Mounts??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am new to this forum as well as the E60 range and diesels - previous 3 series driver. I have a 2005 530 D with 94k on the clock and have noticed that when i switch the engine off that the car shudders more than i would expect from it and also there is a slight vibration that i feel on my seat when idling and when the engine is under load at speed - +120 kilometers per hour. I spoke to our local dealerships' technician and he recons that it might be wear on the engine and gearbox mountings which is causing the vibration. Does anybody have experience with this problem and how big an effort is it to replace said mountings?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Members

If anybody is interested - the gearbox mount and right side engine mount were the culprits.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Good info thanks. Did you steering wheel shake or make any noise?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Members

No shaking on the steering wheel - it was just the vibration when you sit in the car while idling and when flooring it at speed. They say that the mountings perish due to time and exhaust heat which causes them to sag (gearbox mounting)- this then causes too much play which leads to the vibration.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know. I've had similar problems in the past from this sort of thing. I'd think the torque of that diesel would be pretty tough on those mounts over time. In my experience you tend to notice a pretty big improvement in vibration generally, as well as general driveline slop, particularly with a manual transmission, when you replace.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Members

My Ride: e60 520d 2006 model

hello.. i have a very similar experience on my 520d 2006 model. In the beginning i faced a gear slipping and slamming on my auto tranny at about 120000km done. After 1000km and some serius slam i lost the vibration damper in front. i went to the mechanic and replaced the pulley checked for any failure on the auto reset everything and started driving on the highway. it almost looked like brand new in the first days. after a week though i felt an unbelievable slam during gear change witch lead to a steering ( and on my seat) vibration from that time till now. i also have a quite nasty behaviour on my gear changes. the mechanic said through the phone that the bad tranny behaviour is probably due to the torque converter failure witch is a very common problem for the 520d and that i can continue driving for some thousants of km without replacing. Just because i wouldn't risk to replace only the converter i let it as it was and now after 40000km more i see that he was right. the problem has increased but not as much as i thought. the vibration though i think is getting worse day by day. one other thing i noticed is a very strange feeling and sound when reaching 100km/h. something like wheel bearing failure but it's in all the car you can feel it anywhere. the first thing to look now will be the engine and gear mounting and after fixing that i 'll see about the tranny. Is it possible a failure on the mountings to create these problems on my auto transmission? do you believe that after all those km without fixing the problem another failure will probably apear? thanks in advance for all info.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Members

Hi - I had similar problems with slamming in my 2005 530D auto, as well as the car would jerk when you came to a slow stop. If I was traveling slowly - as in peak traffic where everybody crawls along and I had to stop - the car would feel asif it "jumps" into 1st gear - so bad sometimes that it felt like somebody rearended me.

I spoke to dealership and they suggested double flushing of transmission fluid or else taking gearbox out and resetting it? I checked this forum and found info on resetting the transmission. To me it sounded flaky and that it would not work but I gave it a try anyhow and now.... no more jerking and my change up and down is baby smooth!!

Basically you turn ignition on i.e. all lights go on but engine does not turn over - then depress the accelerator pedal right down to the bottom - if you have auto feel the click of kick down button - and keep it there for more than 30 seconds. The forum said that in some vehicles you would hear a soft sound as the transmission resets but I heard nothing. My car does not jerk anymore and change ups and downs are so smooth that i hardly feel it!

Yes it sounds like hocus pocus but try it - it won't cost you anything and it might help.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
Good to know. I've had similar problems in the past from this sort of thing. I'd think the torque of that diesel would be pretty tough on those mounts over time. In my experience you tend to notice a pretty big improvement in vibration generally, as well as general driveline slop, particularly with a manual transmission, when you replace.
OOOOOh yes the torque - lovely stuff that!! I just had the normal seats in my car but now due to torque they have been pressed into bucket seats! Ok jokes aside, did you have similar problem that was fixed by having mountings changed? I am still waiting for the repairs to be done - everything comes to a halt here in South Africa during December holidays.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was noticing some weird shaking upon shutdown. Upon inspection the bad mounts were letting the engine cooling fan hit the hood insulation, which could have gotten bad if it had gotten worse. Car had a lot of miles when it happened, and I had them replace both engine and transmission mounts. I was astounded when I got the car back how refined the powertrain seemed.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
I was noticing some weird shaking upon shutdown. Upon inspection the bad mounts were letting the engine cooling fan hit the hood insulation, which could have gotten bad if it had gotten worse. Car had a lot of miles when it happened, and I had them replace both engine and transmission mounts. I was astounded when I got the car back how refined the powertrain seemed.
Thats it! When i shut down the engine the car looks like a wet dog shaking off water. Cant wait to get rid of this - thanx for confirmation.

Quick Reply: Suspect Engine & Gearbox Mounts??