E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Surprises all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

OK, I'm the kind of guy who read the whole owner manual in 5 minutes, maybe 2 second per page. And I assume many people are like me too.
A dumb and lazy guy like me always find out some features in the car in a surprise after driving that for a while. Like in one day I notice the red line in the tachometer will move at different temperture; another day I found that there's a special indicator showing the speed when cruise control is on; I didn't even know there's a storage pocket (net) beside the passeger's leg room until today.
Does this happens to you guys too? If yes, what features?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Haha I dont remember... I think I learn more about the suprised features here on this board when someone talks about it and then I go REALLY?? and run outside to check it out.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

That also happens to me too!
Old 11-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='196061' date='Nov 9 2005, 10:53 PM
OK, I'm the kind of guy who read the whole owner manual in 5 minutes, maybe 10 second per page. And I assume many people are like me too.
A dumb and lazy guy like me always find out some features in the car in a surprise after driving that for a while. Like in one day I notice the red line in the tachometer will move at different temperture; another day I found the there's a special indicator showing the speed when cruise control is on; I didn't even know there's a storage pocket (net) beside the passeger's leg room until today.
It does happen to me, but since my wife is the main driver of the 545i, she notices the stuff and doesn't tell me.

Most of the stuff I picked up on from this forum.

My Key is set to my radio station preset and climate control settings.
Her Key is set to hers. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Five 12 Volt outlets in the car. 1 in trunk, 1 in ashtray, 2 in passenger compartment, rear console, 1 hidden under the glove compartment in the passenger footwell. (Found those out from the forum) I thought there was only three.

Cruise Control Indicator.

Split Screen option with NAV.

Trunk Release on the underside of the trunk lid, didn't know it was there.

Gas Door locks and unlocks with the cars central locking system.

I didn't realize there was Opera Lights till I drove the car at night for the first time.

I know there is plenty more, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

Regards, Mike.

I can't wait to find out the surprises in MY 550i. The wait is KILLING ME!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Contributors

I am just the opposite, I found this forum by "googling" e60 before I bought my car two years ago. About the only thing on the website then was an e60 owners manual. it took about a month until I could find an e60 I wanted. I poured over that online manual, waiting.I knew more about my e60 and how things worked when I bought my car than the sales rep. - no surprise there. I didn't even bother with his "this is how things work" speech. I'm good to go, where are the keys?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Manual? We get a manual with this car! , Was there an extra charge?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another one I learnt here though it is documented in the manual.

Pressing the unlock button of your key for more than few seconds will roll down all the windows. I dont think there is any for US users to rollup the window.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='196061' date='Nov 9 2005, 11:53 PM
OK, I'm the kind of guy who read the whole owner manual in 5 minutes, maybe 10 second per page. And I assume many people are like me too.
A dumb and lazy guy like me always find out some features in the car in a surprise after driving that for a while. Like in one day I notice the red line in the tachometer will move at different temperture; another day I found the there's a special indicator showing the speed when cruise control is on; I didn't even know there's a storage pocket (net) beside the passeger's leg room until today.
I acutally spent a little time on the manual--more than you did at least. And, I still have had some surprises (probably with more still to come), but I won't be able to recall them all. Here is what I can recall for now:

Location of the tool kit
The battery position
The net on the passenger side
Setting my alarm off the first few times I tried to open my truck with my key
Bluetooth not working with just any Bluetooth phone (had to return a new phone and to change carriers)
Steptronic does not start in first in D (not in manual)

It's sort of like finding an Easter egg long after the hunt is over.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Same thing happen to me on my e60. I don't have this kind of experience on any other cars. I just found out I have net on the passenger side (I still need to go check).

When I use the cruise control last week, I found out if I push or pull all the way it will increase/decrease by 5 miles increment.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The day after I had placed my order I called BMW and asked for the manual.
Before the car arrived at the dealership I read it twice, so there were not many surprises...

Quick Reply: Surprises all the time?