E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Surging power @ 45mph or under

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I posted a while back I might have a problem with my cruise control, turns out the car has started surging just the same with the CC turned off now.

Imagine your travelling along at a steady 30mph, you notice the RPM flicking up and down, almost as if the computer is letting the clutch up and then taking it back in a little every second or so, the revs never sit steady but your speed sits "ok" despite being able to feel it, does exactly the same with CC set as well.

If I were to take a wild guess I might suggest a blocked injector, dodgy fuel pump maybe? FWIW I ran some fuel injector cleaner through the system when I last filled up.......just in case.

I took the car up to 135mph earlier tonight for a good clear out as it was quiet, it seems to miss a little and falter a little when it gets to 135, not much urge to go past that, ive been up to 155mph before with no such problems ??????

Any ideas anyone ?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

Has seriously nobody got any suggestions or experienced a similar problem ??
Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='778824' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:59 PM
I posted a while back I might have a problem with my cruise control, turns out the car has started surging just the same with the CC turned off now.

Imagine your travelling along at a steady 30mph, you notice the RPM flicking up and down, almost as if the computer is letting the clutch up and then taking it back in a little every second or so, the revs never sit steady but your speed sits "ok" despite being able to feel it, does exactly the same with CC set as well.

If I were to take a wild guess I might suggest a blocked injector, dodgy fuel pump maybe? FWIW I ran some fuel injector cleaner through the system when I last filled up.......just in case.

I took the car up to 135mph earlier tonight for a good clear out as it was quiet, it seems to miss a little and falter a little when it gets to 135, not much urge to go past that, ive been up to 155mph before with no such problems ??????

Any ideas anyone ?
Sorry can't help you Mark - never (touchwood) had these problems with mine. Does sound like it's an engine running problem rather than a CC problem (as it now does it regardless).

If you're struggling to get over 135mph then there is clearly something wrong - these things pull strongly all the way to the limiter.

What fuel do you use as rule? Have you tried a tank of Shell V Power Diesel or BP Ultimate Diesel? I tend to use Shell and also add Millers Diesel Power Sport 4 - combined these probably give the best 'everyday' cleaning available (without stripping the engine). It might be worth tyring one or both - just a suggestion?

Take it you haven't had the EML on? I hope for your sake you haven't got an injector going down - do you still have warranty left?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

HI mark
Try the car on 35,45 mph and see if rpm is fluctuating ? If yes there are number of things I can suggest as have gone through it .
Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

Hi guys thanks.........

I dont have a local BP or Shell sadly, im using generaly Tesco or Asda juice..........occasionaly the Murco gets my business as well.

No EML light, no warranty ............though im considering taking some out as I plan to keep the car at least 3 years.

----

Yes, the problem can happen anywhere between 30 and 45 mph ali-cap, please share your experience if you had the same ?

The problem seems pretty random atm, not everyday or everytime im at those speeds.

thanks guys......
Old 01-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a bad coil or fouled spark plug.

maybe a quick visual inspection of the plugs.

I'm about to take delivery of a 06 530i. Having owned a 85 524td, 94 530 e34, 2 99 528is, its amazing to hear that the e60s seem to have similar conditions
as the e39?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

its a diesel so it doesnt have sparks or coils, else I would say your on the money

I also forgot to mention, occasionaly it idles rough, but only in N not when in D, revs look steady but you can really feel the engine acting lumpy and vibrating, its done that trick since I got it tho and also not all the time.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

Another 530d with the same problem , there are number of us having a hard time with this engine . If you search for auto gearbox started by smarty156 will get some info's.
I have warranty but been really busy ,so have not gone back to my dealer and re-book for another time wasting session. as you will see number of things has to be done like :
Air filter , Injectors , EGR clean up and last is a gearbox moudel .
Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops,

if you have spark plugs, theres your problem then
Old 01-29-2009, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

Maybe I should chuck a six pack under the bonnet just for good measure, you know, just in case ??? hehehehe

Quick Reply: Surging power @ 45mph or under