E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sunroof Seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 01:01 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i w/M-Tech, Sport and Cold Weather Pkg
Default Sunroof Seal

Hey guys! Quick question on replacing the Sunroof seal. Mine is bad so the car has a lot of wind noise above 40mph. The dealer just quoted me $325.00 to do this repair and after reading some of the posts on here about the job it seems as if it isn't that hard. My understanding is that the new seal has adhesive on it already and that you just need to make sure that you cut it the correct length. There is also something about "resetting" the sunroof or something like that as well. Who has done this and any insight you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly handy but my debate is if I have the dealer do it I know its done correctly, even if expensively.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:09 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by ditka550
Hey guys! Quick question on replacing the Sunroof seal. Mine is bad so the car has a lot of wind noise above 40mph. The dealer just quoted me $325.00 to do this repair and after reading some of the posts on here about the job it seems as if it isn't that hard. My understanding is that the new seal has adhesive on it already and that you just need to make sure that you cut it the correct length. There is also something about "resetting" the sunroof or something like that as well. Who has done this and any insight you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly handy but my debate is if I have the dealer do it I know its done correctly, even if expensively.Sunroof seal fitment issues - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Thanks!
check this out ..

Last edited by H F; 04-07-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Members

Replacing the seal is relatively easy. I did mine several years back and it made a big difference. The hardest part is removing the sticky reside from the old seal. Second hardest part is maintaining consistent height of the seal as you stick it on. One thing I learned too is to be very carful not to put your elbows on the roof. It does not take much to dent it. I believe I followed a DIY from this forum.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

On a 1 to 10 I would call it a 2. Like Coyote said, removing the old glue really sux. Get some goo gone that works pretty well. I found the best way is to just use you finger and roll it. Use several or you will wind up with a blister from the friction. Don't stretch or pull the seal just let it naturally go down, start in the center rear and go one direction. Wen you come t the corners, again don't pull it just feed it into position. When you get to the end keep it in position and cut it a little longer maybe 2 mm and then bring this end to the other end. When adhering the seal you also have to be aware of letting the seal raise so keep it flush to the roof or you could get a little noise. Before you remove the old seal put a piece of blue painters tape on your roof so you can mark the center line. This way when the old seal is removed you know where to start.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...cement-122541/

Last edited by tonyb635; 04-07-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 Dinan 545i, Titanium Metallic Silver, 2007 Dinan M5, 6sp, Silver Gray Metallic

I did mine on Saturday, it took about 30 minutes to do.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

where's a good place to source the new sunroof seal? dealer? or somewhere online?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

There not expensive, I would just go the dealer that way when you want it chance are they have it in stock. Otherwise, you probably would only save a couple dollars after shipping gets added and what ever else they can think of like fuel surcharges an then have to wait for it. I think it cost around 30.00 or so.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by tonyb635
When adhering the seal you also have to be aware of letting the seal raise so keep it flush to the roof or you could get a little noise.
What do you mean by this? Do you mean that install the seal just below the surface of the metal so that when the roof closes, it would push up (squeeze) on the seal and then it would wind up being flush to the metal surface when closed?

BTW, I just ordered the seal from getbmwparts.com.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

i replaced my seal. i think i paid like 17 or 27 cant remember, from ecs tunning. removing the old adhesive was a little pain, but with goo gone it helped a lot. just make sure you clean the area very well and that no goo gone is left behind or the new seal will not stick. i didn't open my sunroof for a week just so the new seal has plenty of time to set.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 AM
Senior Members

You will see, if you can imagine the seal from a cut view looking like a "7". The top of of the "7" rests on top of the car surface and the long vertical part left side has adhesive and adheres to the inner vertical wall. When installing the seal, you want to keep the top part of the "7" flush and semi tight to the roof. I too think it naturally wants to rise when you install the seal but watch it closely to keep it tight to the roof. Corners are areas at a larger risk. If this happens, just pull it back a little and reposition it. If you miss this and the seal is not flush to the top surface, as you drive wind can get underneath and make a noise.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Seal