E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sunroof rattling

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by MIINT
I have this problem too... I'm gonna try the velco... cheap and chearful!

Any pics on where to put these would be a bonus!

Looking at the metal deflector, it looks like the pads would be placed right at the edge\lip and peak of the deflector. The top of its arch. I did the check with the engine running and reving it a bit so that it will induce some vibration to cause the rattle.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for all your contributions. I'm going to try the lubricating first, if that doesn't work I'll try the velcro tabs. This Forum rocks!
The following users liked this post:
Kazlas (07-22-2024)
Old 07-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by diverep
Thanks everyone for all your contributions. I'm going to try the lubricating first, if that doesn't work I'll try the velcro tabs. This Forum rocks!
I had the exact same problem about a year ago. Don't bother with the lubricant. I used the softer side of a 1 x 1 inch velcro square sticker on the top of the wind deflector in 3 different places and there is no more clanking. Replacing the the seal only helps with wind noise which I ended up doing myself too. Easy 30 minute job.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
I had the exact same problem about a year ago. Don't bother with the lubricant. I used the softer side of a 1 x 1 inch velcro square sticker on the top of the wind deflector in 3 different places and there is no more clanking. Replacing the the seal only helps with wind noise which I ended up doing myself too. Easy 30 minute job.

Thanks for saving me from added grief!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Thanks for saving me from added grief!
No worries.
Everyone here is happy to help. If your car is out of warranty like mine, the stealer would have ripped you a new one to redo the seal and the wind deflector.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Has anyone resolved this problem the right way? Or does everyone settle for the cheap way? What causes the metal deflector to not lower all the way?

My dealer tried to put pieces of foam tape on the deflector and pass it off as acceptable. I removed the tape a few days later.

Rob
2006 550i SMG
Tallahassee, FL
Old 09-24-2010, 02:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i A/T

Has anyone a clue as to why this might be happening? I appreciate, as always your feedback.

Cheers!
The problem is that the grease on the tracks on which the sunroof slides dries out over time. This allows the play in the tracks to become evident, resulting in the rattles. I have recently done a total service on my sunroof, stripped it right down to the tracks etc., showing where you need to grease and how to re-align the roof panel when you re-fit it. I took pictures of the whole process and will upload as a thread shortly.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 520d LCI. HUD, active lights + high beam assistant, panoramic sunroof, manual gbox, grey leather and navi professional. It's a nice car with an impressive engine.

Originally Posted by Scorpus
The problem is that the grease on the tracks on which the sunroof slides dries out over time. This allows the play in the tracks to become evident, resulting in the rattles. I have recently done a total service on my sunroof, stripped it right down to the tracks etc., showing where you need to grease and how to re-align the roof panel when you re-fit it. I took pictures of the whole process and will upload as a thread shortly.
Please do!
I have a lot of rattlig too... But i also have a strange sound when the "blind" is shut.
When i push up (lightly) on this blind when driving the sound disappears. It's not very comfortable to drive like this by the way
Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Mine dosent work properly period once I open tilt/or moon roof I gotta slowly close inch by inch to get a seal closed roof... It sucks to me so I rather not open @ all....
Old 09-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by kane1111
Mine dosent work properly period once I open tilt/or moon roof I gotta slowly close inch by inch to get a seal closed roof... It sucks to me so I rather not open @ all....
have you tried the sunroof reset? It basically teaches the sunroof to re-learn the travel endpoints.

Quick Reply: Sunroof rattling