E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sunroof rattling

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wind deflector was rattling (touching the glass after closing) and I pulled it away by hand for a while. I then lubricated all the pivot points with WD40 and all noises vanished.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shezmon
Lol dammit must I add that I have the same prob only in tilt position. I do all my own work just have not bothered to look at it. I guess since there is a demand to solve the issue now I'll get my hands abit greasy. Will let u know what I find?
Mine is the same issue only with it in tilt position, any fixes would be much appreciated Shezmon.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Members

Have you guys tried resetting the sunroof? I've had this issue before on my old 545i and that did the trick.

I think to reset it, one has to hold down the open button for about 15 seconds or something. I'm probably wrong on the reset instructions as it's been a while since I did this.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Fokker
Have you guys tried resetting the sunroof? I've had this issue before on my old 545i and that did the trick.

I think to reset it, one has to hold down the open button for about 15 seconds or something. I'm probably wrong on the reset instructions as it's been a while since I did this.
I did this. Didn't work for me. At anyrate, I think that only tells the car how far to open and close the roof in 3 positions, I don't think it would do anything to the rattle.

Balbs
Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by balbs
I did this. Didn't work for me. At anyrate, I think that only tells the car how far to open and close the roof in 3 positions, I don't think it would do anything to the rattle.

Balbs
Sorry I couldn't help.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Contributors

It has nothing to do with the resetting.

There's a metal plate that rattles on the frame. You have two options:

1- Put velcro tape or ductape, which acts like a damper when hitting the frame, thus eliminating the noise (Permanent)

2- Every time you open the sunroof, just pull the metal plate down (Temporary)
Old 07-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Fokker
Sorry I couldn't help.

Hey, sorry if I sounded harsh. I didn't mean to. I saw a similar tip to yours on another forum, I tried it and it didn't work for me. In retrospect, your tip is valid. The sunroof reset sets the full open, close, and vent travel of the sunroof. If yours wasn't opening in the vent position all the way, then it would more likely cause the rattle. When you did your reset, the vent was now fully opened, eliminating the rattle. With that in mind, your tip is plausible.

I checked mine out again. It seems the velcro pad\cushion would work. Also, I'm guessing if the metal deflector was somehow adjusted so it won't lift so high (maybe 1-2mm lower), it wouldn't hit the glass frame when a vibration occurs.

Balbs
Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by balbs
Hey, sorry if I sounded harsh. I didn't mean to. I saw a similar tip to yours on another forum, I tried it and it didn't work for me. In retrospect, your tip is valid. The sunroof reset sets the full open, close, and vent travel of the sunroof. If yours wasn't opening in the vent position all the way, then it would more likely cause the rattle. When you did your reset, the vent was now fully opened, eliminating the rattle. With that in mind, your tip is plausible.

I checked mine out again. It seems the velcro pad\cushion would work. Also, I'm guessing if the metal deflector was somehow adjusted so it won't lift so high (maybe 1-2mm lower), it wouldn't hit the glass frame when a vibration occurs.

Balbs
Hey, man, I didn't take it that way, so it's all good. I do hope you and others with this issue resolve the problem with as little cost as possible. The sad face emoticon was my shortcut way of saying, "my sympathies".

There are multiple approaches to the same problem with varying degrees of success (a case in point is the door seal creaking problem) so I figured throwing one approach out there couldn't hurt!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW F10 520D M-Sport, Professional Nav, Spoiler, Visibility Pack, Auto Fold mirrors, Full Black Panel.... and thats it!

I have this problem too... I'm gonna try the velco... cheap and chearful!

Any pics on where to put these would be a bonus!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Members

Just lubricate the pivot points of the wind deflector.

Quick Reply: Sunroof rattling