E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've just bought a second hand 2004 530d touring but am having trouble with the panoramic sun roof. Basically when I try the button nothing happens at all. I've taken the button panel off and tried adjusting the roof with the allen key which started both sun roof panels tilting however when reversing the turns with the allen key only the front roof panel returned to it's flat position so I had to force the rear panel flat again.

Does anyone have any similar experience with sun roof problems or can offer any advise on how to fix? My concern is that if I rock up to the BM dealer it's going to be a hefty bill just to diagnose. Maybe an independent garage would be the way to go?

I'm totally stocked with the car and appreciate any advise on sorting this problem
Old 07-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributors

i would've suggested to reset your sunroof, but you cannot do that if the button doesnt work
GL and congrats on your new car.

PS: I would get a third partyl warranty for your car. One thing i can surely advise you is that never keep a BMW without warranty or else, when problems such as this occur, your going to be getting a hefty bill.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='946466' date='Jul 19 2009, 02:02 PM
i would've suggested to reset your sunroof, but you cannot do that if the button doesnt work
GL and congrats on your new car.

PS: I would get a third partyl warranty for your car. One thing i can surely advise you is that never keep a BMW without warranty or else, when problems such as this occur, your going to be getting a hefty bill.
Yup - warranty is something I'm looking into.

I'm wondering if the roof problem is just an electrical issue, perhaps even just a fuse? If that was the case maybe a reset would then sort the stiff roof panels or am I just being optimistic.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Contributors

why not try changing the fuse?

Anyhow this is how u reset the sunroof. Just keep on pressing the button upward(the one that lets the sunroof tilt). Hold it for like 15sec, you should see the sunroof tilt a bit more upward, the close then open fully then close fully(during the entire process you should keep holding upward). Meaning, keep holding for like 2min till the entire procedure is done, its actually teaching the sunroof where are its limits.

Check member RUDY's profile. He has the TIS in PDF on how to do it if u need more instructions.
hope it helps
Old 07-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Members

Thanks for the help.

How do I find out which fuse might be to blame? Also I can't find the TIS thing for sunroof reset, do you have a link?

If anyone else has had similar issues with sunroofs please let me know
Old 07-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Contributors

here u go buddy
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?autocom=ga...m&album=213

its called Initializing the Sunroof

hope it helps
Old 07-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but these panoramic roofs can be a bit problematic. You see the same problems on 3 series, X3's and X5's.

If the mechanism starts playing up BMW won't fix it, the only option is a new sunroof complete. Something like ?1600 + 7 to 10 hours labour i.e. as much as ?3k.

If you car has a full service history BMW have been known to replace the sunroof as a gesture of goodwill on 2004 cars. Often they make you pay the labour at a reduced rate of something like ?30ph.

If you have a warranty it should be covered.

In your case it could be the motor, or a fuse, but both panels not coming down even on the manual winder is not good news. Using the winder (or an allen bit in a socket) you should be able to cycle through the whole tilt/close/slide sequence.

On mine it would open on tilt and get stuck. Now my car has a BMW warranty but the dealer bodged it (in my opinion) by reducing the amount it opens. When you do a re-initialise you can see the full travel, when you look at the mechanism you can see how far it should go but mine now opens just a fraction. However I'm happy with this I'd rather not have the whole roof pulled out and I don't use the roof much.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JasonH' post='946640' date='Jul 19 2009, 05:25 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but these panoramic roofs can be a bit problematic. You see the same problems on 3 series, X3's and X5's.

If the mechanism starts playing up BMW won't fix it, the only option is a new sunroof complete. Something like ?1600 + 7 to 10 hours labour i.e. as much as ?3k.

If you car has a full service history BMW have been known to replace the sunroof as a gesture of goodwill on 2004 cars. Often they make you pay the labour at a reduced rate of something like ?30ph.

If you have a warranty it should be covered.

In your case it could be the motor, or a fuse, but both panels not coming down even on the manual winder is not good news. Using the winder (or an allen bit in a socket) you should be able to cycle through the whole tilt/close/slide sequence.

On mine it would open on tilt and get stuck. Now my car has a BMW warranty but the dealer bodged it (in my opinion) by reducing the amount it opens. When you do a re-initialise you can see the full travel, when you look at the mechanism you can see how far it should go but mine now opens just a fraction. However I'm happy with this I'd rather not have the whole roof pulled out and I don't use the roof much.
Thanks for the info Jason. What is the expected behaviour of the 2 panels with the Allen key? When I try with the Allen key in one direction both sections tilt. If I turn the other way the tilt goes back to flat and then the mechanism feels quite tight. Is it supposed to slide the panels when turned in that direction or does it not slide? Having not seen it working I am not exactly sure what it's meant to do

I've looked through the manual I got with the car but can't find any info on where the fuses are located. Where can I get this info from?

Thanks everyone for your help so far. This is an awesome forum, already learnt a lot and spent far too much time browsing old topics
Old 07-20-2009, 03:13 AM
Contributors

Wait for a while and someone better than me with electricity and wires can help you out
GL
Old 07-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Members

bumping this one in case there is someone out there who can help

Quick Reply: Sunroof problem