E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Earthquake

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the E61-forum (might be the same with E60). Anyway, when I open my panorama sunroof everything is fine. When i start to roll, the built in windshield pops up as it's supposed o do. So far so good!

However, when i reach "out of city speeds" (past 70 km/h / 40 mph) there is some kind of painful wind noise. It's not the expected mid frequency noise, but rather a low frequency (3-5 Hz) "bumbling" noise! Very painful for the ears. I beleive it's there in both sunroof positions (half- or fully open), but it's worse in fully open. Anybody experienced this? Any idea of how to minimize that "pain in the ear", or is the sunroof a parking feature only? (All windows are btw closed).

Everything is aerodynamic when it comes to E6x, but with sunroof open, it's like an old Tupolev...
Old 08-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 530iSE, Black Saphire with beige leather, auto, lux pack, comms pack, viz pack, power mirrors, 122 wheels

I can recall a similar thing with a merc (my e60 doesn't have a sunroof). I found that by opening the rear windows - just a fraction - the air pressure in the car changed and the roaring noise went.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Happens to me also, especially if I have my rear seats folded down.
Also happened in my E36 M3's.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Nothing u can do, imo!
Old 08-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

You just need to crack any one of the windows a hair to alleviate. I had this issue with my old car too.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Difference in air pressure can lead to this base drumming noise....all cars seem to do this, I dont have a sun roof but I can trigger it by opening the rear windows....
Old 08-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550 6 speed Carbon Black, Gray Dakota Leather, Black Bamboo Trim, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, Aux Input

this is the case with most sunroofs - all 10 or so cars I have owned in my life anyways - 3 different brands (volvo, honda, bmw)

I think it is called buffeting

Like UUronL posted - open the rear windows a crack to allow a little airflow - works like a charm

- Michael
Old 08-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

How about installing one of those "wind deflectors?" It looks ugly but I think it should do the trick.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:02 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I've had sunroof on many cars, and I know what's normal noise. And I was planning to take the panorama roof for my E61. But after trying it out on a demo car I changed my mind. It was practicly impossible to drive with it open; due to the loud wind noise..
Old 08-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The sunroof buffetting is quite common on many cars but I find it disappointing when it happens on such a highly engineered car. I find it more amazing when the engineers can't solve the problem except for programming or installing some sort of "stop switch" which prevents the roof from opening all the way (many cars have that -- including M-B.) It's as if they threw their hands up and said, "We can't stop the buffetting so we'll give the customer a way to prematurely stop the opening of the roof so it doesn't happen." Incredible!

By the way, on the E60, you can run with the windows up and the roof all the way open and not experience any buffetting (hooray) -- EXCEPT if the fold down rear seats are down...

Quick Reply: Sunroof Earthquake