E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sun roof - noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: The Black Sapphire...
Unhappy

Hi,

When I'am driving on rough roads or hit bumps I hear a noise from my sunroof hearing like two metal tubs hit each other.

Any solution to this?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Does it happens when the sunroof is in the lift-up position (Not sure if that is the right term) or rolled back?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='410550' date='Apr 5 2007, 07:52 PM
Does it happens when the sunroof is in the lift-up position (Not sure if that is the right term) or rolled back?
I don't know if the sound is there when the roof is rolled back (cause wintertime, so I haven't had it open yet), it is there when it is shut.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Members

It's probably the metal wind deflector that pops up when the roof slides back. When the roof is closed, the deflector is in the "down" position, but has a tendancy to rattle against the metal frame of the glass.

Open the roof and you'll see the deflector pop up.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aage' post='410564
It's probably the metal wind deflector that pops up when the roof slides back. When the roof is closed, the deflector is in the "down" position, but has a tendancy to rattle against the metal frame of the glass.

I asked about the sunroof position because mine makes exactly the noise you described, but only in the lift up position and I do believe as suggested in this thread that it is the metal deflector. No noise when in the closed or rolled back position but I usually have it in the lift-up position so it is quite annoying. I have complained about it twice and been told that it is working as it should, hopefully third time's a charm.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by marklp' post='410574' date='Apr 5 2007, 09:11 PM

Ok, I'll check it out tomorrow.. But I still think this have to be a faulty issue if Wiu-Bimmer just has this problem when he has it in the lift up position, and when it is closed it is quiet. And I have this issue when it is closed..

Hope the third time will give results for him... I'll check in with my BMW dealer, when the easter holidays is over..
Old 04-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Members

Mine rattles occasionally when closed or when in the Up position. I think mine just needs some lubrication on it's hinges (as if it isn't returning all the way "home") as I can seem to press down on the deflector which stops the rattle.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

You might wanna bring it to the dealer. all I know there will be wind noise when you open the cover of the sun roof, because

e60 does not have rubber thing around the sun roof.

Good Luck.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by marklp' post='410651' date='Apr 6 2007, 12:59 AM
Mine rattles occasionally when closed or when in the Up position. I think mine just needs some lubrication on it's hinges (as if it isn't returning all the way "home") as I can seem to press down on the deflector which stops the rattle.
Yes, maybe all it needs is some heavy grease...

I'll look into it in the morning..
Old 04-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Members

I've got a similar problem, but the problem is sporadic (seems to happen when the weather gets warmer). When the sunroof is closed and the sunshade is open, the sound occurs. When you hear the sound, if you tap up on the sunshade, does it make the noise? If so, then it has something to do with the sunshade in back hitting a piece of plastic/metal. I tried to have my dealer listen for it, but he couldn't reproduce it during his test drive.

Quick Reply: Sun roof - noise