E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer vs. All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 05:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport: Titanium Gray on Gray Dakota with Black Poplar Trim, SMG Transmission, Active Steering, Logic 7, Navigation

I live in the South, currently in Northern Alabama, with possible move soon to Atlanta. The area isn't known for severe winters, but it does dip into the 20s (or even a bit colder in the mornings) in the winter, and a light dusting of snow is possible. Anyway, I need tires and I'm stuck trying to decide between PS2s or the PS All Season. I really don't want to maintain two sets of tires and wheels with a seasonal switchover.

There have been great comments on this forum about the PS2s, but what about the PS All Season tire? I'm looking for solid performance (but not necessarily autocross), minimal tramlining, sharp steering response, and smooth, low noise rolling when trolling around town and on the interstate.

Any opinions? I'd like to dump these Dunlop runflats pretty soon (maybe anything would be an improvement). Things were simpler in sunny SoCal!

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2008, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Bama214' post='573453' date='May 3 2008, 09:39 AM
I live in the South, currently in Northern Alabama, with possible move soon to Atlanta. The area isn't known for severe winters, but it does dip into the 20s (or even a bit colder in the mornings) in the winter, and a light dusting of snow is possible. Anyway, I need tires and I'm stuck trying to decide between PS2s or the PS All Season. I really don't want to maintain two sets of tires and wheels with a seasonal switchover.

There have been great comments on this forum about the PS2s, but what about the PS All Season tire? I'm looking for solid performance (but not necessarily autocross), minimal tramlining, sharp steering response, and smooth, low noise rolling when trolling around town and on the interstate.

Any opinions? I'd like to dump these Dunlop runflats pretty soon (maybe anything would be an improvement). Things were simpler in sunny SoCal!

Thanks!
My decision was easier since I'm in NY, but I switched to Bridgestone Ultra High Perfromance All Season with a W speed rating. I'm leaving them on until I return the car off lease when I will reinstall the Dunlops Runflats.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 AM
JPJ
Contributors

I'm a generally a fan of summer rubber when possible, but for your weather and only one set I would be torn also. I'm originally from TN with similar winters -- not enough snow (and ice storms) to justify 2 sets, but enough to challange the summer tires for at least a few days a year. All seasons might be a little quieter since that is also something you are looking for also.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

I have snows but I still run all seasons instead of just summer. They are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and I have the 18" sport package staggered sizes. There is no way I will ever out drive these tires. They are huge, rears are 11" across on the back so I don't see the need for the max performance of summer only tires. And with the all season I am fine for any weather except deep snow.

There is big difference between all season and high performance all season though. I won?t run cheap tires, no reason to have a BMW if you use lousy tires
Old 05-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by Bama214' post='573453' date='May 3 2008, 09:39 AM

Thanks!
You'll be just fine in Atlanta with summer tires. I am NYC area and went through the second winter on summer tires w/out much problem. It does not make sense to sacrifice year round performance for 3-4 days of careful driving. With no snow on the road even at lower (20F) temperatures summer tires are pretty good. You just need to let them warm up for the first 3-5 miles.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

In Atlanta I don't think I'd worry about it.

Like someone else said the all season tires will give you a better overall ride quality and less tire noise. Also like some else said chances are your not going to out drive a high end all season tire. So if you need/when you need new tires go with the all seasons and chances are you'll be happy with them.

For some of you norhterner's how well does the 5's handle in the snow with all season tires?? I live in Wisconsin and got my 545i at the end of winter so never had to drive it in the snow (has damn RFT's on it right now). My Lexus LS has All season tires and does ok in the winter (you can live with it I guess the best way to put it). I know snow tires would be best but if I can get by with out having two sets and dealing with getting them changed twice a year I'd like to.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='573786' date='May 4 2008, 12:44 AM
You'll be just fine in Atlanta with summer tires. I am NYC area and went through the second winter on summer tires w/out much problem. It does not make sense to sacrifice year round performance for 3-4 days of careful driving. With no snow on the road even at lower (20F) temperatures summer tires are pretty good. You just need to let them warm up for the first 3-5 miles.
I agree,I also went with Summer year round. During those snow days I just don't drive it.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='573462' date='May 3 2008, 10:02 AM
My decision was easier since I'm in NY, but I switched to Bridgestone Ultra High Perfromance All Season with a W speed rating. I'm leaving them on until I return the car off lease when I will reinstall the Dunlops Runflats.
That's my plan ... I will buy Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions this winter.

Based on what I've read, I expected a worse ride from the stock Dunlop RFTs. I don't find them rough at all. I just want to change the tires once on this car and be done with it.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Hey Bama, I bought a set of Pilot A/S last fall when I got my staggered 18" 124s. I think they are terrific tires for what the seasons can throw at you, so long as it's not too extreme. I didn't want to change to a winter set-up simply because the winters here are not that severe. I moved to St. Louis almost ten years ago for a job, and the winters have been rather mild, snow-wise at least. It does get cold, so pure summer tires all the time would tend to harden during the winter months. I was glad I chose the A/S since this was a odd and particularly bad winter, at least by local standards. I have friends in Georgia, and on occasion, they tell me that snow and ice are not all that uncommon, but still infrequent. As others have stated, summer tires probably will do you fine, but If you want the peace of mind of A/S, I do not think you'll notice an enormous difference between the PS2 or A/S for street use/spirited driving. If you are power-sliding through every corner all day long, that may be another story. 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

All season is the worst compromise, not being able to perform well neither in summer nor in winter. Get season tires!

Quick Reply: Summer vs. All Season Tires