E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sudden Oil Leak - Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006
Default Sudden Oil Leak - Help

Hi everyone, it's been a while but I'm back seeking everyone's knowledge and expertise. I just moved to Oklahoma to start my career and coming from Florida, it's very cold here.

Anyways, I drove shortly this morning and it was 25 degrees outside, possibly the coldest my car has ever endured. After a bit, I noticed a light burning smell and my iDrive notified me that my oil level was at a "minimum." I quickly drove home, added a quart of oil, and noticed fresh drops of oil on top of the air box (N52 engine), as well as on the underside of the hood directly above the air box. Any ideas?

I suspect it may be the oil filter housing gasket, since that's right next to the mess. But I don't know what the usual signs are for that. Other things to note: I didn't notice any other oil leakage on the engine, but I'm at 135k miles and just drove from FL to VA to OK (no problem at all) and even throw snow/sand/salt... my engine bay is very dirty. Also, I replaced the valve cover gasket and valvetronic gasket last winter. The nearest BMW shop/dealer is about 2-3 hours away and I don't even know if they're reputable or not. Any help would be awesome! Thanks.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 530I
Model Year: 2007

Check your oil filter cap and make sure the O-Ring is installed properly. If the oil is not coming from the oil cap O-Ring then check the Oil Cooler gasket to make sure this is not leaking. The gasket breaks down over time from extreme tempeture changes. If it isnt the oil cooler gasket it is where your oil filter housing assembly fits to your engine block. There is a gasket there that also will break down over time. The oil you are seeing on your airbox and underside of the hood is being slung there by your belts. The oil is dripping onto the belts from the oil filter assembly.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Snicklefitz
Check your oil filter cap and make sure the O-Ring is installed properly. If the oil is not coming from the oil cap O-Ring then check the Oil Cooler gasket to make sure this is not leaking. The gasket breaks down over time from extreme tempeture changes. If it isnt the oil cooler gasket it is where your oil filter housing assembly fits to your engine block. There is a gasket there that also will break down over time. The oil you are seeing on your airbox and underside of the hood is being slung there by your belts. The oil is dripping onto the belts from the oil filter assembly.
Thanks for the clear response. I checked after work yesterday and sure enough, there is a ton of sludge and oil on the underside of the oil filter housing to cooler gasket. And like you said, the belts are directly below it. I also noticed a small puddle of oil directly below on the undertray. I guess it hasn't been a big problem until now since the weather has changed drastically. Will order parts and hopefully repair this week and update later.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 530I
Model Year: 2007

No problem. I had the same issue and saw your post. Thought id share my knowledge of the symptoms with you.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:52 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i

Don't mean to restate the obvious, but I think once you start taking things off and following sludge trails, you'll notice that it's perhaps not so sudden. It's a super easy task if you should decide maybe you want to do it--there are just certain things to keep in mind when replacing it. I.e. don't remove the top radiator hose from the oil cooler because the gasket will expand.. you can't buy that gasket and will end up buying a new hose. Clean it really well before replacing and voila. Not difficult.. especially considering driving 2-3 hours away and then spending MORE money there. Just my 2.