E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stuttering & CEL occasionally after overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuttering & CEL occasionally after overheating

Backstory:
A little over 2 weeks ago my 2007 530i started to overheat. I couldn't pull over right away when it was telling me it overheated so I had to drive for about .5 mile. I checked codes with an OBDII reader and it gave me a thermostat code. I ordered one, replaced it and the water pump still wasn't doing anything when I went to bleed it. I played with fuses and the wiring going to the water pump and then it decided to start working properly and has been fine now for about 100 miles, other than the code I get.

Current Problem:
Yesterday I was driving home for lunch my car started stuttering when I hit my gas pedal and the check engine light came on for about 2 minutes. This happened again later on in the day when I was driving--started stuttering, then CEL came on, then went off again and was driving fine. This is the same feeling I had been getting once in a while when starting from a stop but I figured that was just crappy traction as there was snow/ice on the road. It seems to only be happening at less than 2000 RPM looking at what INPA is saying.

I invested in a K+DCAN reader and got software for my laptop around the time of my water pump so I checked the codes again today. Here is what was stored-

2F0D cooler jalousie, control, (GLF) (frequency 38)
2E85 el. water pump, communicatio (frequency 16)
2A98 crank shaft - intake camshaft, correlation (frequency 1)
29D2 misfire, cylinder 6 (frequency 3)

I cleaned (they weren't very dirty) and swapped my VANOS solenoids, and it didn't move from intake to exhaust so there is not a bad solenoid.

Anyway to sum my long boring story up, does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I'm curious as to why the 2F0D and 2E85 codes keep coming up as well. Hopefully overheated it didn't mess anything up further.