E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stupid Valet people and newfound appreciation for Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by bleudyno' post='196314
Originally Posted by donv' post='196330' date='Nov 10 2005, 03:30 PM
[quote name='bleudyno' post='196314' date='Nov 10 2005, 02:47 PM']
I went to a restaurant last night and had to valet the car. Everytime I valet, the idiots switch my headlights from automatic to "on". I'm so used to not having to turn it off that I forgot last night and this morning my car was dead. IDIOTS!! So I had the car jumped but I had an Active Steering fault. The manual said to turn the car off all the way and then back and it should be re-initiated. It didn't so I drove off thinking "great, another dealer visit." But as I was driving, I could totally feel the difference between having active steering and not. Its like night and day. It re-initiated while i was driving but no I have a new appreciate on how nice the active steering makes my car feel. I love my car!

David
"Idiots?" Hummm!
Very funny - Thinking that myself!
[/quote]

Old 11-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Originally Posted by geobmw' post='196424
Originally Posted by das' post='196319' date='Nov 10 2005, 02:08 PM
Heh, it's not that bad without Active Steering.

(Coming from someone who couldn't get Active Steering because it's not available on the xi... )
Just wondering
cuz i had a x5 and it felt like driving a truck!!always had sore hands after driving :thumbsdown:
I see you ordered a M5 with Active Steering. I thought it is not available for M5.
[/quote]

and you are right!!
Old 11-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04' 530i Sport/premium/cold wx/PDC/xenon.

I've had this happen maybe twice in the 5 months I've had the car. First time I didn't know what caused it but it cleared itself after a restart. What was so impressive was the difference in the steering effort, and feel. Because I took this car off-the-lot, I didn't order this feature. But I'm sure glad I have it.
It is a GREAT car. [i]
Old 11-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Contributors

Actually..may I add?
My ex-e60 did not have Engine Speed sensitive variable assist, variable ratio power steering -- and it felt a bit hard (not that much) but with it feels better.

i dont now know too A/S is but the new feature of car with NONE A/S is not that bad.

My new e60 feels so good when steering!
Old 11-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

You guys with the AS is so spoiled, yes the AS is a very good feature, in the parking lot or out on the highway. Although I have never try the AS myself but I don't get a sore hand after driving and comparing with the E39 or E46 the steering is much lighter yet it doesn't loose the feel of the road and handle like what a Bimmer is suppose to. Never get the same feeling with any other cars that I drove.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:06 AM
Senior Members

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='196434
I went to a restaurant last night and had to valet the car. Everytime I valet, the idiots switch my headlights from automatic to "on". I'm so used to not having to turn it off that I forgot last night and this morning my car was dead. IDIOTS!! So I had the car jumped but I had an Active Steering fault. The manual said to turn the car off all the way and then back and it should be re-initiated. It didn't so I drove off thinking "great, another dealer visit." But as I was driving, I could totally feel the difference between having active steering and not. Its like night and day. It re-initiated while i was driving but no I have a new appreciate on how nice the active steering makes my car feel. I love my car!

David
When you get the warning message you have to start driving with about 30Km/h, that's 18.75mph, and turn the steering wheel from one end to the other several times. Then stop the car, shutt off the engine and start again, the message should be gone then. The active steering needs tao learn and set the end positions again...

Originally Posted by Green-Crayon' post='196334
Originally Posted by bleudyno' post='196314' date='Nov 10 2005, 02:47 PM

David
"Idiots?" Hummm!
Very funny - Thinking that myself!
[/quote]

[/quote]
Old 11-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

I don't have A/S but I do have servotronic, & this makes a huge difference over regular power steering.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I see you ordered a M5 with Active Steering. I thought it is not available for M5.
[/quote]

Some people live as they preach, so not...

I have kind of a valet parking at my jobs garage all the time,
but I have no problem