E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid mistake, popped tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to the bank teller today and on the way out, slightly hit the curb on the driver's side. It didn't sound bad at all, but about 2min later and after getting on the freeway, the FTM warning came on and I was thinking, wtf...another false alarm? Well, about 30-45sec later, I could feel the steering wheel pulling to the left. Found a safe spot to pull over about 1000ft down the way and got out and saw that I had a flat. First of all, I'm kind of disappointed that the OEM Continental ContiTouringContact CV95 tire was so weak. Then, I got the jack from the boot and positioned it under the car. Cranked it a few times until it started lifting the car. Then, about 4-5 cranks later, the main screw stripped and the car lowered back down. Had to call roadside assistance to have them come and jack up the car for me.

Anyone else have such bad luck with the oem car jack? My wheel didn't look too damaged but I'll inspect it better after work. Right now, shopping online for a replacement tire. Anyone think it's even worth going to BMW to have them replace the jack? I'm still within my 2 year CPO warranty. I have a real hydraulic jack at home, but it's so bulky, I'd hate to lug it around every where and have it roll around in the trunk.

Any advice or tips appreciated!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I would give the dealer a try. You never know how they'll respond. Also, If you purchased your car from a dealer I would go to that dealer and discuss the problem.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'd replace that jack ASAP - never know when you may need it again. I'm stunned that it was so easy to pop the tire though - how many miles on it? I've generally had some good luck with Continental tires over the years - wonder if maybe the curb was some weird shape or smth...

Good Luck with the search for the tire(s)!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Silver Gray Metallic on gray, Logic7,Adaptive Xenons
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

As for the jack, I suggest getting a bottle jack, much more compact and packs a bigger punch. Just be sure the jack's minimum height will fit under the jack-point of the car.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by PaoChe
As for the jack, I suggest getting a bottle jack, much more compact and packs a bigger punch. Just be sure the jack's minimum height will fit under the jack-point of the car.
Are there bottle jacks low enough to use on a sport/dropped E60?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Silver Gray Metallic on gray, Logic7,Adaptive Xenons
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

That would be tough to find. My car isn't sport or dropped and my bottle jack just barely fits under the jack-point. You might be able to find a unique or special purpose shortened bottle jack from somewhere like Northern Hydraulic, that's where I got mine.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I'd replace that jack ASAP - never know when you may need it again. I'm stunned that it was so easy to pop the tire though - how many miles on it? I've generally had some good luck with Continental tires over the years - wonder if maybe the curb was some weird shape or smth...

Good Luck with the search for the tire(s)!
Thanks! Yea, I was really surprised / disappointed / pissed at how easily the tire popped as well. It was the original tire and had 58k miles on it. Just came back from a road trip to SoCal, first road trip in the 5....it was great!!!

I'll contact the dealer about their shoddy jack today at work.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

Went to Discount Tire today and it was $213 out the door. The guy said I had to be the exact make/model tire since my car is AWD. Sounded right so I didn't question him.

What a costly stupid mistake. Haven't had time to call the dealer about the jack yet though. Gotta head to a meeting in 10 min.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Am I reading right? 58K miles on original tires? That's amazing. I've got a set of 19" RE960's and 25K miles later @ 60% tread.

Glad to see all went well.... enjoy the 5....
Old 08-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stock545i
Am I reading right? 58K miles on original tires? That's amazing. I've got a set of 19" RE960's and 25K miles later @ 60% tread.

Glad to see all went well.... enjoy the 5....
Yep! 58000 miles, not sure what the tread life its supposed to be on these but the guy at discount said I still Had 50% tread left. If I remember correctly, 19"z rated tires wear down pretty quick, I just have boring all seasons on mine but I guess they last longer.

Quick Reply: Stupid mistake, popped tire