E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stuck filler "bar" ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - this is a new one on me ... wonder if the same applies to the diesel BMWs that are just arriving in the United States this year (after a 20 year absence)!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='759321' date='Jan 5 2009, 12:11 AM
Palmo - Thank you SO MUCH for this. I popped out to the local 24 hour garage and filled up without any problem at all - like you say, the bar just folds out of the way when the nozzle is inserted. I guess the one at the nozzle other garage must have been dented, and I'll know to look out for that in the future.

So, thank you for allowing me to recover my Monday morning - and perhaps more importantly - thank you for allowing me to avoid would have been an extremely embarrassing rant at the BMW service staff about non existent fault!!

I guess this shows that there are more differences between US and UK models than we originally thought. People should consider locations of vehicles when reviewing replies as it could mean the difference between correct info and (unintentional) wrong info.

Also - my wife's 2007 X5 has the regular circular flap, which I believe pre-LCI E60's also had, which is what I remember seeing last time I stared down the filler hole. Not something I make a habit of!

PS - filling station in question for me was Shell on Winwick road in Warrington, one I'll be avoiding from now on I think!
Glad my advice was able to help! It's a weird one really. In 20 months of ownership I have only come across this problem twice - and both at the same place as already stated, which for the record is 'The Wentworth Shell Filling Station' just off the M1, J's 35a / 36. I usually use Shell as a rule of thumb, as I think this is one of the best fuels and I also have a V Power Card, but interesting we have both had problems using their pumps.

I'm sure you're unlikely to have a problem again. If you do, just check the nozzles to see if they are mis-shaped, if so that is the likely cause!

I suppose if there's one positive thing from this, it's that it is virtually impossible to mis-fuel the car by accident - especially if like me you drive more than one car frequently, one of which requires diesel, the other which requires unleaded! I'm usually on the ball with things like this, but we can all make mistakes! Theses types of mistakes usually get expensive!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I must check my tonight and see if I have this, I have never filled up the car by my self in HK.