E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange Warning Triangle Appeared: Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

This morning, I drove off in the bimmer for about a minute (under 20mph) when a warning chime alerted me to a "TRIANGLE with a SNOWFLAKE like icon in the middle of it." This image came on for about 15 seonds or less and disappeared; hence, I did not have time to snap a shot with my phone. The location of the triangle is in the temperature/date/time window. My Idrive brightness was unusually dimmed too. I had my AC (snowflake icon) off, but the AUTO button and recirculation ON.

About and hour later, I started the car up again. This time, all my FM radio stations were "wiped out." Bluetooth was still available for my Razr, all entertainment settings were still there, but the feature to lock the doors was set to factory setting (not to lock doors). The Idrive brightness was normal again. But the recirculation button light was OFF.

Is this a glitch or could someone explain this phenomenon.? What does the triangle with the snowlake in the middle mean?
Old 02-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='242849' date='Feb 19 2006, 04:54 PM
This morning, I drove off in the bimmer for about a minute (under 20mph) when a warning chime alerted me to a "TRIANGLE with a SNOWFLAKE like icon in the middle of it." This image came on for about 15 seonds or less and disappeared; hence, I did not have time to snap a shot with my phone. The location of the triangle is in the temperature/date/time window. My Idrive brightness was unusually dimmed too. I had my AC (snowflake icon) off, but the AUTO button and recirculation ON.

About and hour later, I started the car up again. This time, all my FM radio stations were "wiped out." Bluetooth was still available for my Razr, all entertainment settings were still there, but the feature to lock the doors was set to factory setting (not to lock doors). The Idrive brightness was normal again. But the recirculation button light was OFF.

Is this a glitch or could someone explain this phenomenon.? What does the triangle with the snowlake in the middle mean?
Hi B32:

I think the triangle/snowflake comes on at only 38 degrees--the temp at which black ice forms. Was your temp down to 38? Regardless, it sounds like something strange happened. Duh! But, I don't know what might have caused all your resets. Dealer time?
Old 02-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='242861' date='Feb 19 2006, 04:28 PM
I think the triangle/snowflake comes on at only 38 degrees--the temp at which black ice forms. Was your temp down to 38? Regardless, it sounds like something strange happened. Duh! But, I don't know what might have caused all your resets. Dealer time?
Right, the temp was at 36 F. Is it normal for an E60 black ice warning? If so, what sensors (beside the temp gauge) would cause this momentary warning chime? Of course, Houston doesn't get to the 30's that often. But it still doesn't explain the resets to my FM stations and others.

This was the express on my wife's face:
This was my expression: I'll ask the forum members. Maybe they'll have an answer.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='242864' date='Feb 19 2006, 05:33 PM
Right, the temp was at 36 F. Is it normal for an E60 black ice warning? If so, what sensors (beside the temp gauge) would cause this momentary warning chime? Of course, Houston doesn't get to the 30's that often. But it still doesn't explain the resets to my FM stations and others.

This was the express on my wife's face:
This was my expression: I'll ask the forum members. Maybe they'll have an answer.
The 38 degree temp would cause the warning chime too, but, the resets, me too--
Old 02-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='242869' date='Feb 19 2006, 10:41 PM
The 38 degree temp would cause the warning chime too, but, the resets, me too--
The frost warning isn't easy to confuse I've had it quite a lot for the last coupla weeks - it has a statement in the i-drive screen saying outside temp 3.0c (or whatever it is).

Sounds like you've experienced something else and may need to visit your dealer.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The reset of your FM stations is not related to the low outside temp warning.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Did you use the same key the second time you started the car?

If you set up the presets with key # 1 and not with key # 2 when you use key # 2 no presets will come up.
Just maybe you used key #2 and thats what happen.Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 02-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

You sunny southerners...That warning goes off everyt time I start the car, from November to April, up here in Yankee Land. It's just the Lawyers' Chorus singing a simple song.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='242849' date='Feb 19 2006, 03:54 PM

The snowflake is definitely a 37 degree warning. It drives me nuts, but there's no way to inactivate it.

The wiped out settings sounds like it may have something to do with the key memory settings. When I initially set my radio stations and other iDrive settings, my key was in the ignition. A couple of weeks later I mistakenly picked up the spare key and radio presets were gone as well as iDrive settings all back to defaults. I had to reprogram everything with that key as well. Could you have done the same thing by mistake?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tcoz' post='242921' date='Feb 19 2006, 07:00 PM
The snowflake is definitely a 37 degree warning. It drives me nuts, but there's no way to inactivate it.

The wiped out settings sounds like it may have something to do with the key memory settings. When I initially set my radio stations and other iDrive settings, my key was in the ignition. A couple of weeks later I mistakenly picked up the spare key and radio presets were gone as well as iDrive settings all back to defaults. I had to reprogram everything with that key as well. Could you have done the same thing by mistake?
I used the same key. It was after church service, I started the car, and the settings were gone. I think it might be a combination of things that started when I started the car the first time in the morning to go to church. The Idrive screen was very dimmed, but the stations was there. I tried turning the lights on, off, auto, but the Idrive screen remain dimmed. After church service, the Idrive was back to normal brightness, but all the stations gone.

Thanks everyone about the frost warning chime. I tried reading the manual and did not see it. In Houston, we get about 7 days of 30's F in a year.

Quick Reply: Strange Warning Triangle Appeared: Help