E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange Vibration is Killing Me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until I recently purchased my '04 545i, I have driven M3's for the last few years, so this is my first experience with an E60. I love the car and love this forum.

The only problem is that a strange vibration is sucking the joy right out of driving (ok, not totally). I feel the vibration through the steering wheel and pedals between 48 and 62 mph. Passengers only notice if I point it out to them. Now that I recognize it, I can even hear it very slightly.

The really strange thing is that the vibration "pulses" a bit faster than once a second. I don't know how else to explain it, but it comes and goes in quick succession and keeps pulsing as long as I'm between the speeds above.

I do have 20" Asanti wheels w/ Michelin Pilot PS2 that came on the car (not a big fan of chrome, but they actually look great). I did search the forums and read quite a bit about problems balancing various 20" wheels, but none said anything about "pulsing". If it was the wheels, wouldn't it be a constant vibration? If not, maybe the wheels really are the problem.

Thanks in advance for feedback from a helpful group. I wanted advice from this group before seeking help from the dealer. Any comments or advice are appreciated.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by VTec' post='295947' date='Jun 11 2006, 07:53 PM
Until I recently purchased my '04 545i, I have driven M3's for the last few years, so this is my first experience with an E60. I love the car and love this forum.

The only problem is that a strange vibration is sucking the joy right out of driving (ok, not totally). I feel the vibration through the steering wheel and pedals between 48 and 62 mph. Passengers only notice if I point it out to them. Now that I recognize it, I can even hear it very slightly.

The really strange thing is that the vibration "pulses" a bit faster than once a second. I don't know how else to explain it, but it comes and goes in quick succession and keeps pulsing as long as I'm between the speeds above.

I do have 20" Asanti wheels w/ Michelin Pilot PS2 that came on the car (not a big fan of chrome, but they actually look great). I did search the forums and read quite a bit about problems balancing various 20" wheels, but none said anything about "pulsing". If it was the wheels, wouldn't it be a constant vibration? If not, maybe the wheels really are the problem.

Thanks in advance for feedback from a helpful group. I wanted advice from this group before seeking help from the dealer. Any comments or advice are appreciated.
If I were a betting man I'd say it is 20" wheels. Check to see iff they are Hubcentric with a dia of 72mm. If they are bigger (typically 74mm) you will need spiggot rings to reduce the 2mm gap. Anyhoo thats my veiw..
Old 06-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

I second that. Used to have a similar problem with my former car that had 19" rims. As stated above, you first have to make sure the rims are hubcentric; if not, purchase the appropriate size hubcentric rims to correct the fit. THEN ... look for a place that has a Hunter RoadForce balancing machine and re-balance all 4 rims. The Hunter machine doesn't balance rims traditionally by 'freewheeling' the rim off the ground. It actually places a rotating cylinder against the tire tread to mimic the actual contact that a tire experiences against the road ... THEN the balancing process starts. It's super accurate and works all the time. Never had any problems. Ride was always smooooooth as silk.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Members

So are you guys saying that even if it is the wheels that it could result in the symptoms I'm having - this pulsing kind of vibration within a narrow speed range?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

your wheels are not balanced properly.

go get them rebalanced with the counter-weights fitted inside the rim.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:08 AM
Senior Members

I don't know about all the hub-centric stuff - but vibration at a particular speed is almost certainly a wheel balancing issue.

I've often had to go back to tyre fitters afetr driving off and finding that they haven't balanced the wheels as well as they should.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Members

Ok, here's the deal - I took the car to a shop that specializes in high-end wheels and high-speed balancing today. My Asanti's are already hub-centric and the wheels are well balanced, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

However, they did notice some "cupping" on the tires. These are Michelin Pilot PS2's with quite a bit of tread left, so it's a mystery as to how any cupping would happen. They believe this is the cause of the vibration.

Can anyone confirm, deny or lead me down a different path? I'm not really fond of the idea of new tires when these have quite a bit left in them.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

I also drive a 2004 545i, although I am driving on original equipment wheels and Dunlop RunFlats, I have alot of experience with tire cupping.

I'm sorry to tell you that your car will wear out any tire or wheel combination out there the same way. This car IMO has some defect that causes all tires to cup. You will start to feel the tire wear between 5 and 7000 miles. I'm hopefull that this defect has been corrected on newer MY cars because I'm looking at an 2007 550. Good Luck
Old 06-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='295960' date='Jun 11 2006, 02:06 PM
I second that. Used to have a similar problem with my former car that had 19" rims. As stated above, you first have to make sure the rims are hubcentric; if not, purchase the appropriate size hubcentric rims to correct the fit. THEN ... look for a place that has a Hunter RoadForce balancing machine and re-balance all 4 rims. The Hunter machine doesn't balance rims traditionally by 'freewheeling' the rim off the ground. It actually places a rotating cylinder against the tire tread to mimic the actual contact that a tire experiences against the road ... THEN the balancing process starts. It's super accurate and works all the time. Never had any problems. Ride was always smooooooth as silk.
Roleez,
Do you know any shop in Bay Area has Hunter RoadForce balancing machine?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

another thing.

the toe is off which can cause uneven wearning, thus the vibration.

you need to do a specific 4-wheel alignment.
when the car is being aligned, make sure the steering wheel is locked straight at 12 o'clock. this is a very common problem many mechanics fail to do when adjusting alignments.
i usually walk into the work area to point it out to them. many needless to say were displeased.

Quick Reply: Strange Vibration is Killing Me!