E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange stuff electrical

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:59 AM
dh1
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i

Originally Posted by twh
The car DOES NOT remember the condition of the "failed battery". That is, if the battery is failed, the car hasn't done anything to remember that specifically. The car DOES have a different charging profile for new batteries that is changes as the battery ages
Thanks. I asked the dealer what happens if the battery does not get registered. It was his words, that it may continue to have seemingly unrelated electrical issues (i.e. radio stations and clock reset, fault indicators, etc.)

I installed a new battery from Sears yesterday. Order online, picked up in store, 15% off. $165, and it took me 5 minutes to install, including removing the new battery, just to double check that I didn't pinch something when I set it in the cavity in the trunk.

I did not register it yet, but there seems to be no ill effects. I think I will order the cable and do that myself as well. $80 seems like a lot of cabbage to hook a laptop up to the car's computer and reset the battery type, not to mention the time/hassle of getting it to the shop.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 530i

Did you have any luck with the repair? I have the same issue but I don't know how it would have been damaged?
Old 02-18-2015, 02:51 AM
New Members

My Ride: Silver 530D SE

I have a similar problem.

Recently moved from an e39 540i M Sport to an e60 530d SE. Have a really annoying problem with it in that after heavy rain or a trip to an over enthusiastic car wash, my electrics go all funky. The Tire Flat , driving control system, window trap and headlights all flash up warnings. To make matters worse, if its dark, the headlights will switch themselves off while the ECU appears to reset itself.

I suspect that the boot lid has been replaced at a time as there are signs of the wiring being joined at the boot lid hinge so maybe it has got wet during that time. The inside of the right side inner boot looks dry and doesn't look water damaged and the spare wheel well is dry as well.
I read an article somewhere that there is a drain plug below the right side particle filter just below the front wiper blade which sometimes gets blocked but when I pour water in that area is comes out below the front wheel as expected. I've read other articles that say it could be the sunroof drain but I sealed it with Vaseline as a test and the next rainy day shebang, it all cuts out.
It was just a nuisance before but the other day in the dark, it killed the headlights just after Id left the house and a car pulled out in front of me thinking I'd flashed him to go.

I might try disconnecting the IBS to see if that helps. From the service receipts it had a new battery fitted 6 months before I bought it so I doubt its that.

Any pointers gratefully accepted.

And so it continues….
I disconnected the Intelligent Battery Sensor and the car ran fine for about 10 days, however there wasn’t any really heavy rain nor did I use the car wash. With the IBS disconnected, the startup sequence (all lights going out on dash from initial turn of ignition key) seems to be about 2 seconds quicker.
During the 10 days, I started the car before the DSC and within 20 seconds of driving off, all of the lights on the dash lit up, the idrive screen went dark, headlights went off, DSC failure, window trap failure, run flat failure and the speedo dropped to zero. This was after a dry night.
Yesterday I went to the car wash and overnight heavy rain and guess what, same problem, all of the lights on the dash lit up, the idrive screen went dark, headlights went off, DSC failure, window trap failure, run flat failure and the speedo dropped to zero. I’ve checked the boot and its bone dry.
This is driving me crazy.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

I have read in the forums that the car can get water in the trunk (boot) from clogged sunroof drains. They are supposed to drain rain water to the outside behind the rear wheel, but when backed up will deposit water into the battery well and it collects in the spare tire well. Pull your spare tire and check to see for signs of water. There are a few DIY on cleaning the drains on this forum.