E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange Speaker Pop Sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

I have the "logic 7" stereo system in my car. I have noticed an intermittent "pop" sound that is coming from the speakers. It tends to come from the driver's side front but does move around. It doesn't happen all the time. When it does happen, adjusting the volume (on the dash or steering wheel) causes more pops. That is, while I adjust the volume it triggers pops. When this gets really bad the system ultimately stops playing audio of any kind (phone, sat, aux...)

I have reset i-drive but this doesn't make the problem go away when it is acting up. The problem seems to go away on its own and never runs for more than 15 minutes.

As dictated by Murphy's law, the problem is not there when I take it to the dealer so they can't troubleshoot!

Any ideas? Is the amp going bad? Any ways to troubleshoot for the problem when the symptoms aren't there? Are there any service bulletins for this type of thing?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Post some more info please:

What audio source are you using when the "pop" sound occurs?

Does this also happen when the engine is turned off?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:23 AM
Contributors

if you are using a cable to connect your ipod i would maybe take a look at the cable. make sure nothing is wrong with it, then look at the plug in jack. make sure the ipod is completely plugged in at both points. you will get humming and weird noises when you dont have it plugged all the way in. just a thought, since we dont know what setting you have it on when it starts...
Old 06-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Cold Weather Package Navigation and Logic7 Package Sport Suspension Package

i had the same problem but with my rear driver side speaker.. and now the rear channels stop working .. im pretty sure its my amp.. i gotta get that replaced
Old 06-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='922019' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:23 AM
if you are using a cable to connect your ipod i would maybe take a look at the cable. make sure nothing is wrong with it, then look at the plug in jack. make sure the ipod is completely plugged in at both points. you will get humming and weird noises when you dont have it plugged all the way in. just a thought, since we dont know what setting you have it on when it starts...

I run my iPod through the "aux" input. However, the sound does not appear to be related to the iPod. The sound occurs regardless of what audio is selected (Sat, Phone, iPod). Also, the sound occurs when the iPod and aux cable are removed. Finally, when the popping gets really bad, all audio stops working.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wolf' post='922734' date='Jun 24 2009, 07:11 PM
I run my iPod through the "aux" input. However, the sound does not appear to be related to the iPod. The sound occurs regardless of what audio is selected (Sat, Phone, iPod). Also, the sound occurs when the iPod and aux cable are removed. Finally, when the popping gets really bad, all audio stops working.
might have a power cable crossing a signal cable, this can cause interference. it could be this but it could also be the amp.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

It could well be your amp. The DC level is drifting. Just a wild guess.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='923246' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:44 AM
It could well be your amp. The DC level is drifting. Just a wild guess.

Time will tell. It has stopped again for now....
Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

My experience with audio amplifiers is either they work or they don't, no in-between.

Any pops, clicks, or other audio distortions would come from either the source, which in this case is the factory radio since the problem exists no matter what input is playing, or a bad ground somewhere (most likely the radio). Since the problem is intermittent its most likely caused by a component overheating or failing when it gets too warm.

Bad or punctured audio signal cables could also cause distortion but they won't shut off the amp. The only way to completely rule out the amp is to plug a source directly in to it and see what happens.

There's no easy way to troubleshoot this without pulling things apart, so if I were you I'd take the car back to the dealership and press the issue. You could probably reproduce the problem by keeping the radio on at a louder than normal volume. GL.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Members

You only get pops when adjusting the volume, and no other time? It could be dirty contacts on the volume knob, like in an old radio. I would have thought the knob was a digital encoder, and not a potentiometer, but this points otherwise.

Have you tried asking the dealer if they've seen this before?

Are you out of warranty? Do you want to tackle this yourself?

Quick Reply: Strange Speaker Pop Sound