E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

strange satellite radio behavior

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

My Sirius satellite radio has been acting odd lately. The following happen:

The preset radio stations are lost
The categories don't show up
The radio will not tune to anything other than the current station
Steering wheel up/down tuning will not work

The FM, AM, Wide Band all work correctly. It is only the satellite radio that is acting odd.

I am assuming there is a a separate Sirius Tuner and possibly it is failing.

Has anyone ever had this problem?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:47 PM
mc5
Members

My Ride: 535xi M3 vert

I would reset the tuner by pulling connectors off and reseating. if that doesnt work than i would say your have a bad tuner. the tuner is located in the trunk on left side under the gray paneling.

Originally Posted by wolf
My Sirius satellite radio has been acting odd lately. The following happen:

The preset radio stations are lost
The categories don't show up
The radio will not tune to anything other than the current station
Steering wheel up/down tuning will not work

The FM, AM, Wide Band all work correctly. It is only the satellite radio that is acting odd.

I am assuming there is a a separate Sirius Tuner and possibly it is failing.

Has anyone ever had this problem?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

Wolf,

I had the same identical symptoms with my Sirius tuner last year (It's a module in the trunk). I would shut off the car for maybe 15 -30 minutes and then restart it and everything would be fine. And then next day same thing would happen or maybe not again for a week :-(

I had it in for service and complained about it 3 or 4 times and finally BMW authorised a replacement tuner. Since then NO (none)problems!

You have a 2007 E60 like I do and I suspect our original tuners were one of the earliest tuners to be offered for E60 models. I remember that BMW had a lot of reception and freezing issues the first year they introduced Sirius on the E60 and the software on these early models are buggy. The latest versions of the tuners have all the software kinks worked out and I have had nary a problem since BMW authorized my replacement.

I hope you are still under the ORIGINAL warranty because the CPO warranty does not cover the electronics like the sound systen and navigation. Even if you bought the latest version tuner outright (e-bay, stc.) it is not a plug and play replacement. Your car has to be reprogrammed after plugging in the replacement. All told if the dealer does it it could be a $700-800 + job (including the tuner).

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Panaguy