E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange problems with every service

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed a strange recurrance of problems with my father's 04 545. Every time it goes in for service the mechanics are stumped and have to contact Germany. This has resulted in the car being out of commission for approximately 7 full weeks since it arrived in July 2004. Mind you the car has only 32k miles on it. Our local BMW dealer has explained multiple times that the car "thinks it is german and will not accept the software updates supplied by BMW NA". In support of this, it did arrive off the boat with the red reflectors in the rear bumper, and it was not a ED car. Also to support that the color combo on the car was not offered by BMW NA in 04. It is the really dark blue with the tan interior (not sure how substanciated this is, the dealer fought us over the color for weeks before finally giving it the go ahead).

Could this car somehow be more german than the rest of the 5ers state-side? or is our dealer doing something wrong?
I ask this as the car is getting ready to go in for the ipod hook up, the fix for the squeaking doors, and hopefully a software update. It would be really nice of someone could figure out what the cars deal is so service could be performed in a reasonable amount of time.

thanks in advance!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by finalevolution' post='445861' date='Jul 11 2007, 01:07 AM
Our local BMW dealer has explained multiple times that the car "thinks it is german and will not accept the software updates supplied by BMW NA".
Lots of bull by your local dealer.

Ie my local BMW Service is in on-line contac with BMW Ag:s computers and gets the newest Progman software when available.

Your dealer would need to do some investments, though.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by finalevolution' post='445861' date='Jul 10 2007, 05:07 PM
I have noticed a strange recurrance of problems with my father's 04 545. Every time it goes in for service the mechanics are stumped and have to contact Germany. This has resulted in the car being out of commission for approximately 7 full weeks since it arrived in July 2004. Mind you the car has only 32k miles on it. Our local BMW dealer has explained multiple times that the car "thinks it is german and will not accept the software updates supplied by BMW NA". In support of this, it did arrive off the boat with the red reflectors in the rear bumper, and it was not a ED car. Also to support that the color combo on the car was not offered by BMW NA in 04. It is the really dark blue with the tan interior (not sure how substanciated this is, the dealer fought us over the color for weeks before finally giving it the go ahead).

Could this car somehow be more german than the rest of the 5ers state-side? or is our dealer doing something wrong?
I ask this as the car is getting ready to go in for the ipod hook up, the fix for the squeaking doors, and hopefully a software update. It would be really nice of someone could figure out what the cars deal is so service could be performed in a reasonable amount of time.

thanks in advance!
Wow, is this Peake? While my personal experiences with them have been very good, this sounds like a load of crap to me. The software updates are the same no matter what country you're in. The timing of when a country gets that update may differ but they should be the same. What were some of the issues that kept the car in the shop for 7 weeks? My 545 is a January '04 build (31k miles) and have never had such issues, mechanically or with software updates. On one occasion it did take three days to get the software to take and they thought I might need a new computer but it eventually worked. Who is the service advisor your dad deals with? A went through a couple (who have since left!) who were not really good. They did well with the customer service but really didn't know the E60 at all. I had to print out several SIB (service bulletins) to get things done correctly, like the squeaking doors! Ask for Don, been working with him for a while now and he is excellent.

I also just had the iPod adapter install a couple of weeks ago, works great but with a few quirks.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='445870' date='Jul 10 2007, 05:25 PM
Wow, is this Peake? While my personal experiences with them have been very good, this sounds like a load of crap to me. The software updates are the same no matter what country you're in. The timing of when a country gets that update may differ but they should be the same. What were some of the issues that kept the car in the shop for 7 weeks? My 545 is a January '04 build (31k miles) and have never had such issues, mechanically or with software updates. On one occasion it did take three days to get the software to take and they thought I might need a new computer but it eventually worked. Who is the service advisor your dad deals with? A went through a couple (who have since left!) who were not really good. They did well with the customer service but really didn't know the E60 at all. I had to print out several SIB (service bulletins) to get things done correctly, like the squeaking doors! Ask for Don, been working with him for a while now and he is excellent.

I also just had the iPod adapter install a couple of weeks ago, works great but with a few quirks.

Yep it goes to Peake... bought it from Brian Harris though. I dont think my dad has ever dealt with the same guy twice, but I will definately let him know to ask for Don. The worst was right after the storm when the car was in for 8 days straight, and no loaner! i guess that was understandable though given the circumstances.

It has been in for multiple dead batteries, multiple other no-starts, iDrive randomly died one day, it has also gone in for all of the recalls... tires, sensors and what not. That is all i can think of off the top of my head. Needless to say my father has been less than satisfied with the service.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by finalevolution' post='445878' date='Jul 10 2007, 05:54 PM
Yep it goes to Peake... bought it from Brian Harris though. I dont think my dad has ever dealt with the same guy twice, but I will definately let him know to ask for Don. The worst was right after the storm when the car was in for 8 days straight, and no loaner! i guess that was understandable though given the circumstances.

It has been in for multiple dead batteries, multiple other no-starts, iDrive randomly died one day, it has also gone in for all of the recalls... tires, sensors and what not. That is all i can think of off the top of my head. Needless to say my father has been less than satisfied with the service.
Certainly doesn't sound like a good experience. While I've never had the issues you mention (except a few recalls) it is unacceptable for them to not be able to resolve them. As for the loaner, Peake is one of those dealers that if you didn't buy from them, no loaner. Is it right? I don't think so but BMWNA refuses to step in and force a higher standard of service on dealers, and when you're the only game in town like Peake there is no competition to force them to perform better. Multiple dead batteries and no starts are a real problem. My car is older and I have never had a dead battery (though I'll likely have one tomorrow AM!). The "more German" stuff is garbage...
Old 07-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Find someone else to service your car.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='446017' date='Jul 10 2007, 10:56 PM
Find someone else to service your car.
While that's easier said than done, I have to agree. The next nearest BMW dealer is more than 70 miles away in Baton Rouge, that's where he bought the car. I will agree that if Peake can't resolve the issues, give Brian Harris a shot in B.R. I know it is a pain but at this point worth a shot!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='446143' date='Jul 11 2007, 07:32 AM
While that's easier said than done, I have to agree. The next nearest BMW dealer is more than 70 miles away in Baton Rouge, that's where he bought the car. I will agree that if Peake can't resolve the issues, give Brian Harris a shot in B.R. I know it is a pain but at this point worth a shot!
Thanks for all the help, I think we will give Don at Peake a try and if not, it'll have to go to BR. I heard a rumor there was going to be a dealer going in on the northshore, that would be nice, and you are right it would give Brian Harris and Peake incentive to get in gear.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by finalevolution' post='445878' date='Jul 11 2007, 01:54 AM
Seems that a boy (like you) have been messing around dads car?

E60 batteries just don't die like that, causing starting- and iDrive problems.

Dear finalevolution, you just seem to love your dads car too much
Old 07-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='446274' date='Jul 11 2007, 02:00 PM
Seems that a boy (like you) have been messing around dads car?

E60 batteries just don't die like that, causing starting- and iDrive problems.
Dear finalevolution, you just seem to love your dads car too much
Without knowing more about this guys car, wasn't there a bug in a much older version of the CIP/Progman that wouldn't let the car go to sleep and therefore drain the battery? Or was that if you left a cellphone plugged in? Oh well, can't recall.

Quick Reply: strange problems with every service