E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange noise from steering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Carbon black 545i sport

Hello all, My 2005 545i sport is making a wierd noise when I turn the wheel either when the car isn't moving, or turning to park ie driving slowly. The noise isn't apparent when "making progress"!
It's almost like you would imagine a spring to make when it's being wound up and released. There are no clunks or knocking noises to speak of, although I get the impression I can feel it through the steering wheel.
The story starts a few months ago when the offside front wheel went into, what I can only call, a crater in the road. This resulted in a bent alloy and a broken spring, both of which were replaced. During this repair the bottom ball joint was also condemned for too much play. All seemed well until the offending noise started, and by coincidence this was when the MOT was due. The car was failed for excessive play on the same wheel as had all the work done on it. The bottom suspension link was identified at the culprit, was replaced and MOT cetificate supplied.
The thing is, this bloody noise just won't go away!
There doesn't seem to be excessive play in the steering, but I'm damned if I can find where it's coming from!

Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks

Alan
Old 07-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525d

Sounds like the common steering fault. Search for "squeaky steering" on the forums and you'll find plenty of info about it.

Dealer fix is to add a lubricant to the steering fluid. If that fails, then they replace the steering column.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nsudac' post='931544' date='Jul 3 2009, 10:05 AM
Sounds like the common steering fault. Search for "squeaky steering" on the forums and you'll find plenty of info about it.

Dealer fix is to add a lubricant to the steering fluid. If that fails, then they replace the steering column.
Gulp, maybe I need to take out that warranty I've been considering for a while!
Old 07-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

my makes this noise too, will any thing bad happens if I just leave it and not get it fixed?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='931664' date='Jul 3 2009, 03:31 PM
my makes this noise too, will any thing bad happens if I just leave it and not get it fixed?
That's what's worrying me too!
Old 07-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by nsudac' post='931544' date='Jul 3 2009, 05:05 AM

That's how the dealer fixed mine.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Contributors

it's the power steering. i believe the fix for that is the fluid needs to be drained and flushed. BMW has a new power steering fluid that needs to be used instead. If my memory serves me correct, the new fluid has more lubricant in it which prevents the steering from squeaking.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by alan545' post='931536' date='Jul 3 2009, 04:49 AM
Hello all, My 2005 545i sport is making a wierd noise when I turn the wheel either when the car isn't moving, or turning to park ie driving slowly. The noise isn't apparent when "making progress"!
It's almost like you would imagine a spring to make when it's being wound up and released. There are no clunks or knocking noises to speak of, although I get the impression I can feel it through the steering wheel.
The story starts a few months ago when the offside front wheel went into, what I can only call, a crater in the road. This resulted in a bent alloy and a broken spring, both of which were replaced. During this repair the bottom ball joint was also condemned for too much play. All seemed well until the offending noise started, and by coincidence this was when the MOT was due. The car was failed for excessive play on the same wheel as had all the work done on it. The bottom suspension link was identified at the culprit, was replaced and MOT cetificate supplied.
The thing is, this bloody noise just won't go away!
There doesn't seem to be excessive play in the steering, but I'm damned if I can find where it's coming from!

Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks
r
Alan

---

I had a strange noises like you do coming from my power steering when sitting idle and turning my steering wheel on my 2004 530i also that my BMW dealer SA advised me BMW had a notice of the steering making a strange noise like you described and you might have the power steering pump replaced at BMW's expense, but they first put me jumping through a bunch of their hoops first begining with draining the old power fluid in the steering pump then replacing it with a heavier BMW power steering fluid that did solve my strange power steering pump noises, buy check with your BMW dealer and mention what my BMW SA told me about the BMW power steering campaign recall on the e60 power steering pumps making steane noises and the heavier power steering fluid replacement soling the problem that you mentioned having right now on your e60.

Hope this helps you, and Good Luck!!

Eddie aka Presley348
Old 07-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Presley348' post='932313' date='Jul 4 2009, 01:44 AM
---

I had a strange noises like you do coming from my power steering when sitting idle and turning my steering wheel on my 2004 530i also that my BMW dealer SA advised me BMW had a notice of the steering making a strange noise like you described and you might have the power steering pump replaced at BMW's expense, but they first put me jumping through a bunch of their hoops first begining with draining the old power fluid in the steering pump then replacing it with a heavier BMW power steering fluid that did solve my strange power steering pump noises, buy check with your BMW dealer and mention what my BMW SA told me about the BMW power steering campaign recall on the e60 power steering pumps making steane noises and the heavier power steering fluid replacement soling the problem that you mentioned having right now on your e60.

Hope this helps you, and Good Luck!!

Eddie aka Presley348
can you find out what the thicker fluid type is?
Old 07-04-2009, 05:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='932394' date='Jul 4 2009, 06:30 PM
can you find out what the thicker fluid type is?
+1

Quick Reply: Strange noise from steering?