E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange new sensation...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update... (if anyone cares)

I put a bottle of Techron Fuel Cleaner in and it didn't do much. Didn't think it would, as the car has 12,000 miles on it.

After a couple of tanks of different gas, I also put in a bottle of Heet dry gas, and that cleared everything up.

In the process, I also swapped back to the original accelerator pedal/module from the SS BMW OE pedal/module that I installed. Followed up with a "reset" (throttle only as I have a manual) I don't think that had anything to do with it, but I did the dry gas and the pedal at the same time, so no control on that experiment.

I really think the dry gas worked. I rarely let the car get down to less than a quarter tank, but I may have gotten some bad gas, in conjunction with some condensation from the extreme cold temps during that time period. I now fill up at 1/2 tank.

Fingers crossed. No HPFP issues so far. Knock on wood.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

Originally Posted by ADD' post='763489' date='Jan 9 2009, 07:51 AM
I got to thinking that as I read through the posts on this and other forums last night regarding the HPFP and ethanol-blamed problems in the 335s and now 535s. Any of the N54 engines.

It is interesting that for the past five or so gas tanks, I've been getting gas at the same Mobil station in town because they had the best price for premium. (Maybe you get what you pay for) Last night I didn't feel like driving to that station, so I got gas at a Hess. Always premium. It will be interesting to see if anything changes.

We don't have ANY of the "top tier" stations around us, or even in Upstate NY I don't think, unless it's branded under a different name.

Anybody know if any of THESE stations are included in the top tier list, (as a sub brand of one listed)?

Mobil
Sunoco
Hess
Kwik Fill (Sounds like Kwik Star, but couldn't find an association) Although Kwik Fill appears like a discount station, I have had very good luck with thier gas in my old e39.
Citgo

TIA
I've always had great luck with Sunoco. I have a 2006 Mustang with an aftermarket blower and custom tuning that makes over 500 HP, and the Sunoco 93 has always done me right. I plan on running Sunoco 91 in my 545 when I pick it up Saturday.. Sunoco is the official fuel of Nascar, so it's gotta be decent if they run it in race cars, right?
Old 01-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='778844' date='Jan 27 2009, 07:17 PM
I've always had great luck with Sunoco. I have a 2006 Mustang with an aftermarket blower and custom tuning that makes over 500 HP, and the Sunoco 93 has always done me right. I plan on running Sunoco 91 in my 545 when I pick it up Saturday.. Sunoco is the official fuel of Nascar, so it's gotta be decent if they run it in race cars, right?
I try to use chevron 93 whenever I can but I do use Sunoco at times. By the way, Sunoco racing fuel has a lot more octane than 93 and is a whole lot cleaner.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:02 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Thanks for the input. I do use on occasion. Unfortunately, we don't have ANY of the listed top tier stations here in Upstate NY.

I have had Great results with Kwik Fill here in NY. Their stations look run down and dirty, and their stores don't have much, but the gas has been great in all my cars. Plus it's "American". Never a bad tank, and better mileage and performance.

I think I got a bad couple tanks at a Mobil station that had especially low prices on Premium compared to other stations.

Add the fact that I usually run the tank to 1/4 or less before filling up, and I probably had some condensation with the cold snap and temp swings during that time.

Anyway, the Heet stuff cleared it all up. Fast and smooth once again!