E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

stranded while washing car with radio on and trunk open

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

after about 2 hours of washing when I was ready to leave turned the key and got the dreaded clicking noise. Damit it said now usually my radio will shut off by itself but I guess since I had the trunk open it changed something. After a quick jump all was well and the car has been starting normal the last couple of days, however it has been rather warm and on cold days it started kinda slower than normal .

I see a 850 cranker at Autozone for 185 I wonder if this duralast with a 8 year warrenty is gonna get the job done. Also I have been reading about haveing to have the battery calibrated for the car ( bummer to have to give the dealer money for a simple diy job what was BMW thinking.

Anyway my question is that a recalibration is only needed if you lose complete power correct? So if I plug in one of those little cigarete lighter things in that has a battery on it to keep power to the computer while i change the battery will this work to not have the car taken to the dealer?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by buddy' post='788256' date='Feb 8 2009, 08:01 PM
after about 2 hours of washing when I was ready to leave turned the key and got the dreaded clicking noise. Damit it said now usually my radio will shut off by itself but I guess since I had the trunk open it changed something. After a quick jump all was well and the car has been starting normal the last couple of days, however it has been rather warm and on cold days it started kinda slower than normal .

I see a 850 cranker at Autozone for 185 I wonder if this duralast with a 8 year warrenty is gonna get the job done. Also I have been reading about haveing to have the battery calibrated for the car ( bummer to have to give the dealer money for a simple diy job what was BMW thinking.

Anyway my question is that a recalibration is only needed if you lose complete power correct? So if I plug in one of those little cigarete lighter things in that has a battery on it to keep power to the computer while i change the battery will this work to not have the car taken to the dealer?

what the dealer does is "register" the battery. They claim that if you replace it with an OEM battery that it will throw codes and idrive wont work.

Many members have replaced the oem battery for an autozone one with success and no issues. I think its bullshit that bmw tells people.

Its a positive and negative terminal...thats it. It doesnt send information.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Members

There's quite a bit of info on this subjct here;

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...rt=#entry780364
Old 02-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

yeah I read that topic and the answers and I don't think it is needed until the last pdf, but other guys have no issues kinda toss up

That is why I asked about just keeping some type of power to the system thus no complete power loss and maybe save 90 bucks till I get my economic stimulation package from the government