E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stone chips

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

I have been driving on dual carriageways and motorways over the last couple of months and the bonnet and front bumper of my car ia covered in stone chips, I do not recall ever hearing one hit the car most of the driveing is at 40.50 60 mph because of traffic. I am now pissed off with this paint to the point where I'm going to get rid of the car
anybody else experience this???
Old 11-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Well stone chips happens, if you heard it hit then there's probably going to be quite some damage. How bad are the chips? show us some pics. I don't think this is the reason you are getting rid of your car, trading in for a nicer one maybe?
Old 11-13-2005, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='197627' date='Nov 13 2005, 03:53 PM
Well stone chips happens, if you heard it hit then there's probably going to be quite some damage. How bad are the chips? show us some pics. I don't think this is the reason you are getting rid of your car, trading in for a nicer one maybe?
Believe me it is, every time I wash it new ones have appeared, I read somewhere on here thet BMW paint was soft but this is ridiculous
Old 11-13-2005, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by norham' post='197629
Believe me it is, every time I wash it new ones have appeared, I read somewhere on here thet BMW paint was soft but this is ridiculous
[/quote]

could be truth in the "soft" part but its not the paint. Its probably the curve of the front fascia. Paint may have a tendency to chip or "break" easier with curvilinear lines or on rounded pieces. Many sedan have flatter and more of a slope towards the windshield (mercedes) and sports cars have a sharper face.

I just can't believe that bmw paint has anything to do with it - but I agree that we are more prone to chips in the cars nose
Old 11-13-2005, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I can totaly confirm this - BMW paint is the worst ever. So thin and soft that you damage it just by touching it. Very very bad color in deed. I mean extremely bad!
Old 11-13-2005, 07:05 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by norham' post='197626' date='Nov 13 2005, 09:49 AM
I have been driving on dual carriageways and motorways over the last couple of months and the bonnet and front bumper of my car ia covered in stone chips, I do not recall ever hearing one hit the car most of the driveing is at 40.50 60 mph because of traffic. I am now pissed off with this paint to the point where I'm going to get rid of the car
I've never had a car that didn't end up with chipped paint up front. That's a hazard of the road. Following too close, passing, and all the normal driving patterns make the front end vulnerable. When clear bras came along, I was soon in line and have experienced no chipped paint since.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

I've have a lot of stone chips to, after 60.000 kms on summer and bad winter roads. There is nothing you can do about it! But the best way to avoid them, is to keep distance to the car in front of you!

I would not say that BMW's get more stone chips that any other car, but the darker the color on your car is, the more stone chips you will see.

I friend of mine had a blue VW Touran and after 60.000 km it didn't look that well.. But my moms VW Polo with the same milage (Silver met) did look very good actually (they drove on the same roads the most of the time).

I fill my stone chips in with a paint stick (BMW Titan Gray ll), when they are big and on the hood :-/
Old 11-13-2005, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by norham' post='197626' date='Nov 13 2005, 04:49 PM
It happened to me last week and I repaired with a small repair BMW kit.

Original ColorSystem

Scroll page up to photos of the kit, hoping it can help

Old 11-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545smg' post='197634
Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='197627' date='Nov 13 2005, 03:53 PM
could be truth in the "soft" part but its not the paint. Its probably the curve of the front fascia. Paint may have a tendency to chip or "break" easier with curvilinear lines or on rounded pieces. Many sedan have flatter and more of a slope towards the windshield (mercedes) and sports cars have a sharper face.

I just can't believe that bmw paint has anything to do with it - but I agree that we are more prone to chips in the cars nose
[/quote]
You don't think BMW paint is at fault try searching on the site under paint and you'll soon change your mind
Old 11-13-2005, 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

not to mention the story again where my paint on the front bonned got rusty and the top layer coat is gone after using front headlight washers during summer with summer windscreen washer liquid in the tank

Quick Reply: Stone chips