E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still no word on whether my car will be totalled or repaired, but....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found out that the guy who hit me is also insured by AllState! As I have stated before, I have never been through this process before, but I can only assume that my argument to have the car totalled just became much more challenging. ... and the hits just keep on coming!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='514777' date='Jan 7 2008, 02:45 PM
I just found out that the guy who hit me is also insured by AllState! As I have stated before, I have never been through this process before, but I can only assume that my argument to have the car totalled just became much more challenging. ... and the hits just keep on coming!!!
Not sure about other states but in NJ if the damages are estimated to be more than 50% of the value of the vehicle it will be deemed a total loss. I am not an insurance adjuster so don't quote me 100% on this.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lmohaxx' post='514778' date='Jan 7 2008, 02:52 PM
Not sure about other states but in NJ if the damages are estimated to be more than 50% of the value of the vehicle it will be deemed a total loss. I am not an insurance adjuster so don't quote me 100% on this.

I was told by AllState that the damages must exceed 80% which seems awfully to high to me!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='514780' date='Jan 7 2008, 02:54 PM
I was told by AllState that the damages must exceed 80% which seems awfully to high to me!!!
80% is really high! unless it's different for certain classes or makes of vehicles..
Old 01-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='514780' date='Jan 7 2008, 02:54 PM

Each company sets their own standards. Most are at 75%.

The dual Allstate policies (yours and his) should help expedite things, although, Allstate (or Allsnake or Allheart as we call them) are notoriously difficult. Don't let their commercials fool you...

Just remember, Allstate has an affirmative duty to act in "good faith" towards you as an allstate insured. Hopefully, they will follow through.

Find out what source they are basing their Retail Values upon - whether NADA, KBB, etc. Ask to see their printouts - you are entitled to see their numbers, and figure out how close to 75% you really might be...

Also, call your BMW dealer to find out if they have a repair shop, or who they use. You have a right to use who YOU want, not who they suggest.

- Pete
Old 01-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='514785' date='Jan 7 2008, 03:06 PM
Each company sets their own standards. Most are at 75%.

The dual Allstate policies (yours and his) should help expedite things, although, Allstate (or Allsnake or Allheart as we call them) are notoriously difficult. Don't let their commercials fool you...

Just remember, Allstate has an affirmative duty to act in "good faith" towards you as an allstate insured. Hopefully, they will follow through.

Find out what source they are basing their Retail Values upon - whether NADA, KBB, etc. Ask to see their printouts - you are entitled to see their numbers, and figure out how close to 75% you really might be...

Also, call your BMW dealer to find out if they have a repair shop, or who they use. You have a right to use who YOU want, not who they suggest.

- Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete. I contacted my sales rep to see what they would list my car if they had it on the lot with 1500 miles on it. I will also, as you suggested, find out how AllState sets their retail values.
Thankfully, my car is at a certified BMW repair shop (not recommended by AllState) and, although they have not yet torn the car down, I spoke to the shop manager twice and voiced my concerns. He seems like a reasonable guy. I just hope they do not take on the job of repairing it simply for the payout from AllState!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Another tip

Since the other driver is also insured by Allstate you should not have your claim reduced by your deductible even if they agree that your 535 is a "total".
Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='514787' date='Jan 7 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the reply Pete. I contacted my sales rep to see what they would list my car if they had it on the lot with 1500 miles on it. I will also, as you suggested, find out how AllState sets their retail values.
Thankfully, my car is at a certified BMW repair shop (not recommended by AllState) and, although they have not yet torn the car down, I spoke to the shop manager twice and voiced my concerns. He seems like a reasonable guy. I just hope they do not take on the job of repairing it simply for the payout from AllState!

In my experience, most credible body shops wont go "low" on a bid just to get the work, as they all have enough to do and wont put out a sh*tty car that should have been totaled.

One more thing - remember that if the value is close to "totaled", be sure to ask the body shop if there could be unforeseen repairs that would be addressed via a supplemental invoice - if you're "close", knowing that things usually pop up that were not originally figured into the total might be enough to push it over the edge.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='514785' date='Jan 7 2008, 03:06 PM
Someone also warned me of Allstate and how difficult they can get, so i switched to ING Insurance. Ironically, after the switch my car was totaled, but ING took really good care of me, and the cheque I ended with was much more than what i had anticipated (it was the extra funding that i needed to get my e60).
Old 01-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='514787' date='Jan 7 2008, 03:20 PM
Actually, you should ask what they'd pay for it as a trade-in. That number will be much lower than what they'd CPO it for.

Quick Reply: Still no word on whether my car will be totalled or repaired, but....