E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stereo in Concert mode Logic 7

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 03:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have discussed this topic to death before.... so I will recap quickly.

Logic 7 uses processors to separate the audio spectrum and send certain sounds to certain speakers.

Sometimes it does this well.... sometimes it does not.

There is always some level of distortion when you add processing to any audio system.

The level of distortion depends on a number of factors, but one of the more important factors is the audio source quality. If you start with a poor audio source, you will get poor results.

So... audio quality 101 lesson for the day ... Radio quality sucks. Older recordings suck, too. So if you play radio or older recordings (like classic rock) on the Logic 7... the liklihood of noticable distortion is high. Of course, distortion is not limited to these media types.... I get distortion on my CD recordings that have been mastered in my friends' home studios. But it's not as bad as what you guys have described above.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Yes, that's a good explanation. Logic 7 and other types of matrix'ed surround processors mathematically 'watch' for differences in the left and right channel and exaggerate those differences with either reduced center channel volume or time-delay in the left and rights (and rears), or a combination of all. The time delay and reverb components they add vary, so you get things like "concert" or "theater". If there is little difference between left and right, the processor puts all that in the center channel.

All this processing changes the way the original material sounds, sometimes quite significantly. I personally don't like any of it. But I'm a purist.