E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic VS Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

Step all the way baby! That is until DSG comes along. I am never going back to manual again. This morning I drove my dad's Saab (5 spd. manual)... what a pain in the ass around town!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

In stop and go traffic, manual sucks! :thumbsdown: Thats what my daily is...but its a fun little car.

I went for the Step, then I can cruise on the LA freeways...
Old 03-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Senior Members

Steptronic is the way to go if you stop and go often. In fact, I've been driving manual cars for quite some time, and I have to admit, BMW makes really good steptronic boxes.... I don't miss manual at all, especially with DS mode.... :-)
Old 03-02-2006, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sapkan' post='248428' date='Mar 2 2006, 09:27 AM
Step all the way baby! That is until DSG comes along. I am never going back to manual again. This morning I drove my dad's Saab (5 spd. manual)... what a pain in the ass around town!

I fully agree. I'm never going back to manual also...unless i get rich enough to buy a second car as a weekender or smth like that. Porsche gt3 anyone?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:57 AM
Members

I agree with most of the posts here that the steptronic is very good. But I will admit that there are days when I miss rowing the gears. Traffic and roads should probably be your deciding factor. No matter what, you will enjoy driving the car.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 monacoblau metallic, steptronic, leatherette beige, xenon, business.

Well done "step-addicts" me included.

Look, I have had 9 different cars in my life. Only the last ones have automatic transmision: E60 and Citr?en C3. Here, in Europe, auto-trans has not being very usual last time. But now, since three o five years, people is reaching this kind of "new way of driving".
In the States and Japan, for esample, happens the other way round. People wanna have manualtrans cars because are up to thier hair of automatic ones.

What I really have to say is that I, after having had the experience of hearing every kind of engine in 4th or 6th gear, I have got the pleasure of the non-move-fucking-hand-for-changing gear. You understand? Just one touch in the stick is enough.

Bye!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Originally Posted by BLE60' post='248305' date='Mar 2 2006, 01:15 AM
I have not been able to choose to go with steptronic or manual. At first I was set on a Manual, now I question that choice. What do you guys think? Pros and Cons Please...
I'll take manual under any drinving condition as for u, if u have to think about it then just go with step.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Members

For everyday driving in a large metro area, steptronic can't be beat. That's why everybody needs to have other "fun" cars w/ stick shift--for the pure "enjoyment" of driving (without traffic that is). If you live in a smaller city, definetely go with the stick if you are a purist.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

There is nothing more "BMW" than an inline 6 bolted to a manual transmission driving the rear wheels.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='248689' date='Mar 2 2006, 03:25 PM
There is nothing more "BMW" than an inline 6 bolted to a manual transmission driving the rear wheels.
Exactly. Especially in stop and go traffic, in city traffic, at red lights when after it went green you still stay put and then it turns red again and green again and finally you seem to move a bit, you hardly get to change to 2nd but you have to cuz you really don't want to over-rev your car for nothing and then you immediatley come to a halt, and the process repeats itself over and over and over. Nice. Sheer driving pleasure.

Quick Reply: Steptronic VS Manual