E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic and SMG

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

IMHO a car as big and luxurious as the E60 needs to have the step tranny. You cant compare its smoothness with the jerky SMG. M5 is another matter, you dont buy it to drive smoothly.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Senior Members

Get the Step.

The E60 SMG is a poorly executed attempt at an automated-hydraulic activated clutch system. (SMG II and SMG III, however, are different stories.)

Plus, long term, the SMG will hurt your resale value.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

IMHO a car as big and luxurious as the E60 needs to have the step tranny. You cant compare its smoothness with the jerky SMG. M5 is another matter, you dont buy it to drive smoothly.
Forgive me for being blunt, but this is an ignorant statement.

The SMG is not jerky. An inexperienced driver on an SMG is jerky.

Can you drive a standard manual transmission? If so, then you know that when you were first learning.... it might have been jerky. Hell, you might have even stalled out a few times. But, as you get experience.... you learn how to finesse it.

The SMG is NOT an automatic transmission. It is a true manual, with an automatic clutch. So you can't expect to just drive it like an automatic.

The trick to smooth SMG shifting is learning how to apply the throttle before and after shifts.... similar to a manual tranny. You don't just hold the gas pedal down and shift, although you can do this if you want. But if you want a smooth shift, you must release some of the throttle before you shift. The trick is to accelerate in a particular gear, and then when you are ready to shift.... let off the throttle just a tad, and then shift. Wait for the next gear to engage, and then re-apply throttle to accelerate in the next gear. Once you master the timing, your SMG will shift smooth as silk.

Plus, long term, the SMG will hurt your resale value.
I disagree. According to Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds.com, the SMG adds value to a used E60.... to the tune of $1200 at the dealer sales level... $1000 for trade-in.

So.... that is a good deal considering my SMG was a no-cost option. It's like I put $1000 back into my pocket the day I got my car.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

subterFUSE gets it...
Old 03-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

i agree with subterfuse
i know some time is needed to learn how to operate smg properly and since all my previous cars have been manual ones i think i will not find it that difficult
now, if the smg is jerky or not we have to leave it up to the members that have smg to decide that
Old 03-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='249832' date='Mar 4 2006, 03:30 PM
I'm actually thinking about the SMG next time. But how did you guys with SMG get a test drive in an SMG equipped car? None of the dealers here keep them, order only.
I ordered mine prior to them building them back in Feb 2004. They started building them in March 2004 and the first cars were delivered in April. I drove a M3 to understand the concept and to get a feel for it. Before all of the nay sayers jump in- the M3 and the E60 share the same basic system, however the M3 has many more settings as it relates to how fast the gears shift and the steering paddles are dedicated to one side up shift and one side down shift on the M3 and both paddles on the E60 perform the same function as they can both can shift up or down.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by 530i_msport' post='250133' date='Mar 5 2006, 11:06 AM
i agree with subterfuse
i know some time is needed to learn how to operate smg properly and since all my previous cars have been manual ones i think i will not find it that difficult
now, if the smg is jerky or not we have to leave it up to the members that have smg to decide that
When you shift a true manual, the driver and most passengers subconsciously compensate for the so called "head bob." With the SMG, people do not key into the shifting cues right away and thus do not automatically compensate for the shift and accompanying delay in forward thrust.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

Originally Posted by 530i_msport' post='250133' date='Mar 5 2006, 11:06 AM
i agree with subterfuse
in my opinion smg is jerkier than step,however,you can drive the car as smooth as step but it requires more of your attention and skills,in addition smg sometimes poorly executes downshifts from 2nd to 1st regardless of the driver(at least on my car),which i think is some sort of design flaw(either software or mechanical) rather that norm.Having said that,every driver and passengers will experience some jerks at some point no matter how good you are and it will need more of your concentration on driving.I've learned to live with this and hopefully it will be improved on next generation of E60.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Members

My Ride: carbon black/black dakota, M package with M aero kit, M suspension and 18" 135 M style wheels - steptronic, adaptive bi-xenon, active steering, moonroof, comfort seats, comfort access, nav pro, logic7, CD, HUD, PDC and some ...

Just to answer Your question, it?s YES, a SMG will drive You around in some sort of D mode, shifting gears without Yours doing anything. BUT it?s not the same thing as a steptronic. I have test-driven a 550i SMG before ordering my car, and I?d say get the steptronic! The SMG shifts gears late, reaching high rpm?s, and it shifts with noticeable grip of the clutch., just like somebody else is driving Your car. If You?re not feeling like being Schumacher, it?s definitely not an option for a smooth ride.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by oyster' post='250188' date='Mar 5 2006, 01:34 PM
Just to answer Your question, it?s YES, a SMG will drive You around in some sort of D mode, shifting gears without Yours doing anything. BUT it?s not the same thing as a steptronic. I have test-driven a 550i SMG before ordering my car, and I?d say get the steptronic! The SMG shifts gears late, reaching high rpm?s, and it shifts with noticeable grip of the clutch., just like somebody else is driving Your car. If You?re not feeling like being Schumacher, it?s definitely not an option for a smooth ride.
Spoken like a man who's only taken a test-drive...

Quick Reply: Steptronic and SMG