E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic and SMG

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames' post='249818' date='Mar 4 2006, 03:06 PM
Maybe not as obvious as it seems. EPA ratings for both are about the same and, based on tests from members on this forum, seems to be turning in slightly better acceleration times than the SMG. Not a lot in it either way but there's nothing inefficient about the step.
You're kidding right? If all things were equal, gearing on the transmission and final drive you think the auto transmission is more efficient? Can you explain that one and help me understand? Acceleration times might be close or the same but the gearing isn't. So you can't compare in that way.

Here's some background information...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission
Old 03-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

i know its time for some dicissions to be made
i will ask my dealer to test drive a car with smg so i can see the differences in the real world
anyway i ll let u know my decission and thanx all of you for all ur help
the forum rocks
Old 03-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

i didnt mean that smg is more efficient than step.
what i meant was that a smaller displacement car is more fuel efficient than a 530 in a city that u need more than 30 min to travel a distance of 2 km
Old 03-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='249819' date='Mar 4 2006, 12:10 PM
You're kidding right? If all things were equal, gearing on the transmission and final drive you think the auto transmission is more efficient? Can you explain that one and help me understand? Acceleration times might be close or the same but the gearing isn't. So you can't compare in that way.

Not at all. Look at the final drive numbers. There's been a lot of discussion here about this. Depends how you define efficient of course, but the better gearing on the step on 6th helps economy and tests here are showing the best times on the steptronic. Definitely not as black and white as your initial post implied!
Old 03-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I have the SMG and would get it again. Rudy is correct in that if you are expecting a "Steptronic" type smooth shifting, then just get the Step. If you want to race around while keeping both hands on the wheel, have faster shifts and the ability to do a burnout get the SMG.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='249826' date='Mar 4 2006, 12:24 PM
I have the SMG and would get it again. Rudy is correct in that if you are expecting a "Steptronic" type smooth shifting, then just get the Step. If you want to race around while keeping both hands on the wheel, have faster shifts and the ability to do a burnout get the SMG.
I'm actually thinking about the SMG next time. But how did you guys with SMG get a test drive in an SMG equipped car? None of the dealers here keep them, order only.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Keep in mind SMG's D mode doesn't feel like an automatic. It still feels like a manual (car doesn't move foward when you take foot off brake, car rolls up/down hills, when you initially step on the throttle its disengaging the clutch so you're not completely in gear and revving/accelerating away like an automatic).

BTW, before I ordered mine, I was only able to test drive an M3 SMG because most dealers in the US don't have E60 SMGs in stock.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='249819' date='Mar 4 2006, 03:10 PM

Check out the discussions of gearing related to both performance and economy on the straight-line thread I linked above. What you want to know is pretty much covered there.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

In case you didn't read it yet, here's the link to our SMG FAQ thread. My recommendation is that anyone who's considering an SMG should read the entire thread and any/all links that it contains. After that, you should be able to narrow down your choices...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2106

As far as how we test drove SMG cars before buying, many of us didn't test one at all. I had driven an SMG M3 prior to my order but clearly there's a difference between the two.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i - silver gray, black leather, anthracite, logic7, cold package, SMG, sport, M Aero, nav, sat radio (due 11/05) 2004 545i, silver gray, tan leather, steptronic, sport, nav, cold package (on its way out...)

I had a steptronic 545 and traded to an SMG 550. Although the SMG is not perfect, it better controls the great engine than the steptronic. It does have a D (autoshift) mode incase you are on phone, etc...It's a great compromise for me (loves a stick) and my wife (can't drive a stick). Of course, she's not offered the wheel too much....

Quick Reply: Steptronic and SMG