E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steptronic and SMG

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

i just found out that the smg is cheaper than the steptronic

i wondered what the differences are between them and i think i found them

smg doesnt have D mode and the only way to chnge gear is either from the paddles or by moving the knob back and forward

am i right?

if not, and the smg does have d mode, then i think i ll get it instead of steptronic

plz help me
am i right???
Old 03-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the obvious. The SMG would be more efficient by its very design of being a manual transmission and the Step is an inefficient slush box but would be smoother.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

yes i know that the smg is a lot better, and faster in shifting but i need an answer

does smg has d mode???
Old 03-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

I don't have SMG but page 59 of the manual states that there is a `D mode'.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

of the cars manual?

anyone who has smg can help?
Old 03-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530i_msport' post='249784' date='Mar 4 2006, 02:12 PM
of the cars manual?
Yes... also found here... http://www.e60.net/information/
Old 03-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

If I were you, I would, as you are, give the matter very serious consideration. In this regard, I think you should assess your driving skills and driving interests. I like straight-line performance (check this link) and have absolutely no need for a track-type tranny on the street. I like smooth, easy, simple, and relatively problem-freeness for the street. Thus, a Step was, and still would be, my choice. Note that the Step provides me with enough control to be able to drive pretty much as trackie as I would ever want on the street.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

530i msport, I'll take a stab at this and say that I'd highly recommend that you get the Steptronic. To me it sounds like you're expecting the SMG to be like an automatic and you're only considering it because of the cost.

If that's true, get the Steptronic. You can thank me later.

(and, by the way, in case you're thinking I'm biased and "anti-SMG," do a search! )
Old 03-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

no i am not expecting it to be like automatic.most of the time the car will be driven in manual if u can call it that and not that much in D.
D will be used only in the city and sometimes on the freeway.
i am not gonna go around the city with the car except only if its an emergency.i use a smaller car to go around the city because its much more fuel eficient especially in our cities in Greece where the traffic is horrible :thumbsdown:

so now that u know whats gonna happen would u recommend the same?
i am listening to the experienced ones
Old 03-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='249761' date='Mar 4 2006, 10:20 AM
Don't forget the obvious. The SMG would be more efficient by its very design of being a manual transmission and the Step is an inefficient slush box but would be smoother.
Maybe not as obvious as it seems. EPA ratings for both are about the same and, based on tests from members on this forum, the step seems to be turning in slightly better acceleration times than the SMG. Not a lot in it either way but there's nothing inefficient about the step.

Quick Reply: Steptronic and SMG